Hash, Inc. Forums

An old but new user wants some info on subscription and v18

rijklau

Hi,

I am an old user (still using v10) and is looking at the current version for a possible upgrade. But the subscription method is making my head spinning. (May be I'm really too old :) )

If I purchase a subscription, will the software stop working after one year? Or can I still work with it but with no access to updates only?

Also I read somewhere that A:M now supports STL export with improvement in subdivision of patches, but cannot find information on Hash's site or the forum here. I'm using A:M to build real physical models with 3D printer so that could be the one feature that makes v18 a must have for me.

Another issue is using Win XP with v18. Seems that v18 will be the last version that supports Win XP. When subscription ends, and I extended the subscription, can I carry on using v18 on my XP or am I forced to upgrade to v19 etc. and have to upgrade my computers too?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Rijk

• Hash Fellow

Welcome back!

If I purchase a subscription, will the software stop working after one year? Or can I still work with it but with no access to updates only?

With the $79 subscription the software works for one year. Then you would need to renew for another year.

Also I read somewhere that A:M now supports STL export with improvement in subdivision of patches, but cannot find information on Hash's site or the forum here.

Yes it does have STL export. The choices for subdivision are 1, 4, 16, 64, 256, 1024, 4096 and "variable"

OBJ has those also and some people find OBJs work better with their 3D printer software.

STL.JPG

Another issue is using Win XP with v18. Seems that v18 will be the last version that supports Win XP. When subscription ends, and I extended the subscription, can I carry on using v18 on my XP or am I forced to upgrade to v19 etc. and have to upgrade my computers too?

You can run any previous subscription version with a current license so you could keep using v18 even after v19 has been released.

Welcome!!!

Yes....The software will cease to open after the year subscription is up. You have the option to "Renew" though. It's

a different approach to using software, but most of the Major 3D packages are already following this model as well.

Those include Adobe and Autodesk.

A:M is relatively inexpensive at just under 100 spacebucks. It gives new users a more inexpensive test drive without the

older cost of 300 or more. Plus, you continue to get all the upgrades.

****IMPORTANT..... YOUR subscription allows you to Install and open as many of the A:M versions as you want to install.

I normally have 4 versions that I can open up at anytime to use.(V.15, V.16, V,17, & V.18).

And you DON't need to use a CD or Dongle to open the software. Your subscription acts as the key.

ABOUT STL......Yes...Animation Master has made great strides to accomodate 3D printing. Will Sutton has some examples I think....

on his Tar Of Zandoria blog site.

I'm not sure about the XP compatability. I am running V.18 on Vista though.

RC... I was too slow typing....You beat me to it :)

• Admin

Wow RijK, it's great to see you.

You are a legend around these parts.

The subscription is for one year only although there is the more expensive route that is a permanent (never expiring) license (for @299 as I recall).

After the subscription expires the software will require reactivation with a new code ($79).

There are a ton of improvements since v10 and the file formats have changed to a more XML friendly format.

Older files can be brought forward but taking new files back to pre-v11... that won't work without serious editing of the file.

In both annual and perpetual licenses if you change computers you'll need to contact Hash Inc to get an activation code for your new system.

With regard to v18 and XP.... one thing to keep in mind is that as a subscriber you have access to every release from v15 to present... and what is released in the future... while the subscription is active.

A downside of the perpetual license is the current release and (to my understanding) will see support end after one calender year.

Contact Hash Inc to determine if they have any special deals or variations to licenses.

For what it's worth, I recommend the annual subscription for $79.

Regarding the STL export... it's great stuff. The exporter allows low resolution export or dial it up to ridiculously high detail (and give the exporter a lot of time to create the file because there will be a lot of data to crunch).

STL fles can also be imported into A:M as Props (and textured via materials).

P.S. Your short film was one of the first I ever saw when I purchased A:M and it was a major factor in getting me to subscribe.

That was back in the '98 timeframe.

Edit: Looks like Robert *and* Kevin both beat me to the response. ;)

Thanks a lot robcat2075, detbear & Rodney. That clears things up very much. I've asked for a trial version and most likely will get a subscription if it runs smoothly on my XP machine.

Rodney, I am flattered. Legend is definitely not who I am but thanks. Due to a change of job nature I used A:M to make miniatures figures (12mm) and vehicles as my hobby, and use A:M's Action and Choreography capability to present "pose" proposals to my boss who is making 1:56 miniatures. I can say I can never do my job without A:M.

Cheers,

Rijk

• Admin

Rijk,

Unless you just really want to go the trial route.... I wouldn't bother.

The first subscription is on me.

It's the least I could do for a guy that inspired me (and others) as much as you did.

Just say the word.

P.S. if you are an impostor and kidnapped the real Rijk in order to get a free subscription to A:M please disregard. ;)

• ____ 1

Rijk,

Unless you just really want to go the trial route.... I wouldn't bother.

The first subscription is on me.

It's the least I could do for a guy that inspired me (and others) as much as you did.

Just say the word.

P.S. if you are an impostor and kidnapped the real Rijk in order to get a free subscription to A:M please disregard. ;)

Rodney, seems that I can't locate the PM button so I emailed you. And thanks!

Rijk

Welcome back! I know the subscription model seems a little harsh but I think it has 'saved' A:M from eminent demise. And once again, Hash was very forward-thinking as many other companies have come 'round to this way of thinking (Adobe CC...) As a daily user, I recommend staying 'current' on the latest versions of A:M- in recent years it has matured to be quite stable and bug-free. V 19 is right around the corner and we are all very excited about it, and as soon as it appears we will be able to grab it- because of our subscription. I hope you are able to take advantage of Rodney's generosity! Way to go...Sarge!

Welcome back! I know the subscription model seems a little harsh but I think it has 'saved' A:M from eminent demise. And once again, Hash was very forward-thinking as many other companies have come 'round to this way of thinking (Adobe CC...) As a daily user, I recommend staying 'current' on the latest versions of A:M- in recent years it has matured to be quite stable and bug-free. V 19 is right around the corner and we are all very excited about it, and as soon as it appears we will be able to grab it- because of our subscription. I hope you are able to take advantage of Rodney's generosity! Way to go...Sarge!

I definitely won't miss out this chance. :)

Rijk

RijK!!! We're so glad to have you visiting the Forums again and giving the latest A:M a try. There's a bunch of

improvements and add-ons.

Yes, and I like what I'm seeing so far. Waiting for my license to come through. Many thanks to Rodney.

Rijk

Welcome back, I must be lucky when I got my subscription I was able to use it right away. I Got an activation code via email.
EDIT:

Welcome back, I must be lucky when I got my subscription I was able to use it right away. I Got an activation code via email.

I have to stop replying with my phone :)

• Admin

I probably should have gone for the activation code but decided to go for the gift certificates instead.

In that way that will make sure Rijk's activation is in no way connected to me.

Purchasing the activation code is immediate... gift certificates have to be approved by someone.... someone with approval authority... someone that is experiencing a weekend... someone that is named Jason... someone that weilds great power... someone with the fate of a new subscription in the palm of his hand... some one who will very likely check his email on monday...

I probably should have gone for the activation code but decided to go for the gift certificates instead.

In that way that will make sure Rijk's activation is in no way connected to me.

Purchasing the activation code is immediate... gift certificates have to be approved by someone.... someone with approval authority... someone that is experiencing a weekend... someone that is named Jason... someone that weilds great power... someone with the fate of a new subscription in the palm of his hand... some one who will very likely check his email on monday...

No problem Rodney. I am very very happy either way. Everybody deserves a nice weekend, esp. Jason. I've been waiting for the update for how long? 10 years? Won't matters for a few days more. :)

Rijk