Hash, Inc. Forums

Secret project underway

Obnomauk

I'm not showing too much of this stuff around (just a treat for the forum crowd ;) ) but here is a character I am working on for my In progress short film.

thug_birdseye.jpg

More details and will be forthcoming as soon as the crew and I have things more in hand.

-David Rogers

Glad everyone seems to like my little tomato.

He was started from a base provided by James Pouklos (mooncaine) nigh on three years ago. I took time off this project to work on Day Off the Dead (and other life things like a large book ;) )

my plate cleared up and I am re-focusing on it, with the passing years my skills have improved and my design ideas have changed. So I have been working with Troy Gilliland on a ground up re-design.

Slight script revisions, new boards, new character sketches, re-thinking of some of the basic style issues that kept things from feeling cohesive before. A ton of little things that now I know better than :)

On a related note: If there are any modelers and/or texture artists in the Chicago Area who are interested in taking a part in this project, please feel free to private message or email me and we can set up a time to talk about it. I'm not actively recruiting and not really looking for folks outside the Chicago area (but if you have a strong desire and a whole lot of patience you can also feel free to contact me even if you live in the furthest flung corner of the globe!) Primarily because design issues need to be hammered out before the project progresses too far, issues that tend to be easier to talk about over a sketch pad and a cup of coffee than over the net.

Thanks for taking a look fellers. i'll post more as it is available.

-David Rogers

Hey David -

That is a very cool looking tomato. Cool and evil perhaps. I like the design. The hand looks really swell.

Now what everyone has to do .... this has a similar look to a post I read at CGTalk in the LightWave area. Some guy was doing something called Killer Grapes or Attack of the Grapes or some such thing. Might wanna look, if you're at all interested.

Anyhow, best of luck with your project.

Doug

Nice to see that your project is still alive and well--I got to see Troy at SIGGRAPH, and saw him working on it a bit while we were there. Super!

BTW, can one of you please PM me with Troy Gilliland's email address? I promised to send him a list of useful video apps for OSX, but I can't find his email address. That'd be swell.

--James Poulakos

Hmmm lets see.

Is he/she going to be an action type character ?

If so is he/she going to rescue other tomatos from a spaghetti factory ? :)

Actually this is one of the minor villains in the piece :) no rescuing planned for the tomato

-David

And with the assistance of Mr Talbotski who graciously allowed me to crib the the jacket off his Dapper Gent character I have some progress to show.

mater_2.jpg

Next up the shirt and tie, shoes and miscellaneous details.

-David Rogers

I dunno about a website, or how many people are involved, but some of old timers know about this secret project... And I for one am glad to see it moving forward!

Good Luck, David & Gang.

I dunno about a website, or how many people are involved, but some of old timers know about this secret project... And I for one am glad to see it moving forward!

Good Luck, David & Gang.

How many people are on this "secret project" and does it have a "secret website"?

zack t.

The official crew is currently sitting at two, with additional 'angels' when i need a favor for a particularly troublesome aspect of production. Myself and Troy Gilliland are the primary workers, Carl Albrecht-Buehler is the "Pants Wrangler" other folks from the Chicago Hash User Group have provided help in one form or another, Jim Talbot is the most recent angel with the assistance on the coat. B)

Folks like, Mooncaine (James), Carole Wilson, and John Burch did a lot of work on the original production run, much of which I am probably going to wind up retooling drastically as the new style of the piece takes over.

There is indeed a secret website, but there is a lot to do before that secret isn't secret anymore and I tell you guys where to find it :unsure: . There are other secret things that are also secret, so secret that even the knowledge that they are secret is a secret :ph34r:

after this secret is no longer a secret I have another secret project tentatively planed to begin secret discussions with a secret collaborator :).

oh and here is the not so secret tomato with a shirt and tie

-David "secret man" Rogers

post-7-1065681724.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well of course it is, but like most projects of this nature it will be a long time in production. (which is why we keep these things secret ;) we don't want to build up too much hype too far before we have something to really show off.)

I think we will have something in the way of a teaser by the middle to end of january. Primary character modeling should wrap up by then, leaving a lot of things left to do :)

Thanks for keeping the interest

-David Rogers

Wonderful job there, duuude!

Suddenly I get one of the last scenes from Chinatown with this guy in it. "I'm a fruit" slap "I'm a vegtable" slap "I'm a fruit" slap...

Well, it's early here.

Really like the personality that this character has already. Best in continuing this Secret Project.

Yes a cast shot is deffinitelty coming, maybe after the January teaser image though as there are still some characters whose design is being hammered out. I have a whole string of little teaser treats kind of half planned to generate and maintain outside interest for the project.

Hopefully it will all build to a fever pitch around the same time we complete the animation :)

-David Rogers

Are his pants that long to keep the secret that he goes around in his "stalking" feet?

<please don't throw tomatoes at me -- you'll regret it!>

I just realized you probably haven't seen the 'finished' version.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1461

see he does have feet :)

-David