Hash, Inc. Forums

PI-Motion ....?

detbear

Particle Illusion is a nifty plugin for AE. I have the stand alone version. But you need to be able to track

the motion. Steffen has an "Export" listed for that purpose.(PI-Motion)

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get the data for a bone or null to track using the "PI-Motion" export.

Is there a thread to learn how this is done?? Does the PI-Motion export work???

• Hash Fellow

Here is a PI-Motion export from A:M.

What it seems to do is track the apparent XY position of a specific bone across the view of the camera

The first column is frame number

The second is pixels from the left edge

The third column is pixels from the top edge

0    -547    594
1    -482    567
2    -417    540
3    -354    513
4    -292    487
5    -230    461
6    -169    435
7    -110    410
8    -51    386
9    7    361
10    64    337
11    120    314
12    175    290
13    230    267
14    284    245
15    337    222
16    389    200
17    440    179
18    491    157
19    541    136
20    590    116
21    639    95
22    687    75
23    734    55
24    781    35
25    827    16
26    873    -3
27    918    -22
28    962    -41
29    1006    -59
30    1049    -7

If we had an example of a proper PI-motion file it would be easy to spreadsheet that into correct format.

Does Particle Illusion come with any sample motion files for tutorials maybe?

Hey... I'm not aware of any.

I can't get A:M's PI export to select the null or bone to follow. The only option it gives is a "Choreography ambience" channel. Which is weird.

Unless I'm doing/ not doing the proper steps to get the exporter to work, it doesn't seem to be operating. Did you run that data out of V18??

ROBERT!!! SUCCESS!!!!

I opened it again using my project and tried to run the export again.

THE KEY is knowing to use the DOWN/ UP arrow keys to be able to thumb through the

bones, etc. Without knowing there is more than one selection in the list, you don't know

that they are available.

ALSO.....I attached a null to the bone I wanted to track. Using a null seems to work better.

THIS Deserves a tutorial because it works Very well and imports rather easily into Particle Illusion with just a few clicks.

IN PARTICLE ILLUSION place an emitter in the scene first. Then "Right Click" on the emitter(Where it is listed in the left PWS column of Particle Illusion....not on the screen area itself) and select "Import/ Tracking data".......Then select Text as type(this is default though)...

Then .....Walllllaaaahhhh..... It's done.

Particle Illusion is a bit of a cost. They also have an After Effects version now, but I don't think

that it has the same tracking import feature that works with A:M. It basically works like a plugin in After Effects.

But Matt is right......If you can get the "Stand Alone" version, the tracking ability is VERY useful.

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifPI motion options.jpg

This is the only option I get to track......Is there a way to get bones, models or nulls to show up as options to track in the export plugin??

Code-wise, having more than one option show up should be quite easy - a single property that takes 10 seconds to change. Did you report a bug?