Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

sprite collisions

phatso

Hi yall. I want to show gas molecules bouncing around in a bottle. I've got Collisions turned on to contain the molecules, and for the most part it works, but about 5% of them zip right through the glass. Judging from the angles, many of these are escaping on 2nd or 3rd bounce. (Drag set to 0.) Still using V13 (blush). Any ideas?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also: can I get the lights to reflect in the glass without turning on Reflections? Or fake it somehow? With hundreds of sprites, the render time goes through the roof, and all those reflections jumble up the image.

• Hash Fellow

Hi yall. I want to show gas molecules bouncing around in a bottle. I've got Collisions turned on to contain the molecules, and for the most part it works, but about 5% of them zip right through the glass. Judging from the angles, many of these are escaping on 2nd or 3rd bounce. (Drag set to 0.) Still using V13 (blush). Any ideas?

Does making the bottle mesh denser help?

Also: can I get the lights to reflect in the glass without turning on Reflections?

Do you mean specular reflection?

That does help, thanks. Reducing initial velocity also helps. And adding a third surface, a 100% transparent copy of the bottle exterior helps. Each reduces the number of stray sprites. I tried still another surface, and the alpha-transparent squares around the sprites started to become visible. I'm not animating this yet, I'm just creating a still image, so I can go thru and remove the few remaining strays later. So, problem solved for the moment...still kind of odd that this happens.

Yes, I'm talking about specular reflections. Glass has always been a challenge for me, I can't get it to look right. I could get something useful if I didn't have those sprites to deal with.

• Hash Fellow

You won't need Reflections ON for specular highlights. Those are pretty much free as long as you have Specular Color, Size and Intensity set in the surface properties.

For more glass-like highlights, in your surface properties set "Specular Render Shader" to "Glossy" and in your render settings set "Plugin Shaders" ON. Then adjust the regualr specular properties to taste.

and the alpha-transparent squares around the sprites started to become visible.

Make sure the transparency portion is truly set to zero, zero, zero.