Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rodney

Reproducable test cases please

I just visited and reviewed some of the reports in A:M Reports and saw several requests from Steffen for inclusion of a project file that demonstrated a particular problem. In each case the effort to address the issue is initiated by Steffen but appears to stall because the reporter hasn't stayed engaged. While waiting for response from the reporter Steffen naturally moves on to the next priority which may leave your report gathering a bit o' dust at that defining stage.

This underscores the importance of staying engaged.

If there is an issue that is important to you please check back in and see if Steffen has posted a response requesting additional information.

That may be all he needs to formulate a fix, demonstrate a workaround or otherwise resolve the issue..

I also see evidence of the opposite, where the reporter has stayed engaged resulting in advancement of a solution and in most cases a full fix.

Steffen is as diligent in his approach as his ability to squash bugs quickly and thoroughly is impressive.

If he is hot on the case of resolving an issue he can and does turn around fixes quickly.

It'd be a shame if a problem of importance to you personally went unresolved simply for lack of a response or valid project/test case.

And... if the issue itself changes or you find it resolved already add a note regarding that so Steffen can close the report.

Then Steffen will know you are happy and he can move on to other priorities.

Thanks! :)

Hey Rodney,

I rarely get to post anything about glitches or bugs, but its funny you posted this because today I finally ran into a bug I can

reproduce on my system....Windows, A:M 18p, 64bit......

The following bug crashes A:M for me:

Does this happen to you guys:

It is a copy/ paste bug.

1st you select some cps and name them as a group....and give the group a color.

2nd select the group

3rd go to edit/ copy and paste the group.

At this point you should have 2 groups in the PWS under your model. What I want to do is copy/ paste those two groups in order to get 4 groups.

Here's where the bug happens for me. READY.........

4th In the project work space CTRL select the two groups you made.

5th go to edit/ copy........when i hit copy A:M crashes. Sometimes it happens when I hit paste after that.

On my windows system, i can recreate this crash.

It is a copy/ paste bug.

1st you select some cps and name them as a group....and give the group a color.

2nd select the group

3rd go to edit/ copy and paste the group.

At this point you should have 2 groups in the PWS under your model. What I want to do is copy/ paste those two groups in order to get 4 groups.

Here's where the bug happens for me. READY.........

4th In the project work space CTRL select the two groups you made.

5th go to edit/ copy........when i hit copy A:M crashes. Sometimes it happens when I hit paste after that.

Hmmmm... I perceive a problem there but it's not quite what you think.

I know it seems logical to use copy/paste from the Edit menu or even via shortcut keys with Named Groups but... as far as I know... Named Groups don't utilize copy/paste.

There is no need.**

I probably should post a video walk through of this.

But...basically...

Any time we want to create a new Named Group consisting of a set of other Named Groups just select the ones you want (via mouse select or Control selecting)... a new group named 'Untitled' will present itself at the bottom of the list. Rename that as desired and now you have a new Named Group consisting of those groups from the previous selection.

No use of Copy/Paste required.

Copy/Paste is something of a strange creature in A:M as it is in several other programs.

It seems to me that any program that maintains its own copy/paste buffer and doesn't use that of the operating system can run afoul of user expectations in that we expect Copy/Paste to be able to copy and paste everything.

Does that make sense?

**Added: Copy/Paste does work with Named Groups but I'm trying to imagine a case where I might use that. It seems to me that Copy/Paste in this fashion is mainly used by A:M when duplicating geometry and it needs to replicate groups with same names. It then knows to tack on a number to the end of the Named Group so that they are in fact not the same. More investigation on my part is necessary... It does seem to me that when we use Copy/Paste we aren't copy/pasting the group names but the geometry these Named Groups contain. From what I'm reading you don't want the geometry copied... only the group names. Now, if you are getting a crash with any copy/paste... something is certainly amiss.

Edit: As far as copy/pasting geometry, that's definitely a reproducable bug. I confirm it here using Ctrl C on two groups with surface colors set.

Congratulations! Now go post it in A:M Reports so you can stake your claim. :)

What is initially interesting about the copy/paste bug is that it doesn't seem to be a problem if all groups are selected, but only if several are selected (ala Ctrl Select).

I've attached a video that you can link to in A:M Reports to demonstrate the problem.

Copy Paste with Select Groups Fails.mp4

I actually like the A:M process of automatically creating a new group with added numbers. This

obviously helps save time and separates an otherwise jumble of clutter.

I'm glad I discovered this as a steady crash action though for my own workflow. I have lost several

hours of work when doing this without thinking. Today, I discovered what has been the steps to the crash

I just confirmed that I don't experience the problem when all groups are selected.

The problem also doesn't occur when only one group is copy/pasted.

It is only when selecting some of the groups (via Control Select).

For completeness sake, I rarely go to the Edit menu and select Copy/Paste there. I am too accustomed to using the shortcut keys Control C and Control V.

While that procedure is not displayed in my video I can confirm A:M fails via the Edit menu's Copy/Paste as well.

So, an interim workaround would appear to be to either copy/paste individual groups or all groups, then adjust/delete the groups/geometry as necessary.

BTW, I recommend narrating oneself while screencamming these things so it's clearer and easier to follow.

I recommend narrating oneself while screencamming these things so it's clearer and easier to follow.

That's on my list of things to do in the near future.

That and spend some quality time with audio in general. :)

I would say though that if someone has the opportunity to share a video of a problem and can't add audio don't let that stop you from providing video feedback.

It's important to see what is going on.

Since the A:M reports is a different account, I don't have access. I guess that's one of the reasons I don't ever report things. Actually the main reason is time.

In the swing of production, there's little time to stop and produce intricate bug reports.

This is why I stick with one A:M version for long periods of time. Even though I re-subscribe, I stick with a solid version if I can. I sat in V11 for several years(even though I had V12,13, &14)

Then I went to V15f for several years. Then I shifted to V17 and finally I have moved into V18.

For me, these shifts normally take place once projects have been completed and I'm moving to a new project. Obviously getting use to a solid version is easier to stick with than moving into something else.

The allure to newer versions has been too tempting as of late, because of the really good additions......."Snap to cp", selection sets, Snap to surface, "Snap bone to nearest CP, Faster Renders, SSAO, etc., etc, etc, etc.

Too many to list and very well worth shifting to. :)

For those that don't have the time to post a report, ask a related question in the forum If something isn't working as expected and others will jump in and pick up where you've left off.

The question can be a simple one like, "is the fragmatic corpuscular framelet working for everyone else? I'm getting very strange results."

I think we underutilize A:M Reports in many ways to our own detriment.

For example, I was just reviewing a few reports from back in the v13 timeframe and one caused me to explore a new approach to using multiple paths.

I would very likely never have thought to even try constraining an object to multiple paths if not for that report.

Since the A:M reports is a different account, I don't have access. I guess that's one of the reasons I don't ever report things.

All you got to do is ask Jason to make you a password.

jason@hash.com

You really ought to be on AM Reports!