Microsoft Continnum

Fuchur

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it is A:M used to create a smartphone holder-model to be printed on my 3d printer for my Lumia 950 XL to be put on a tripod I have ;).

(sounds complicated, but it isn't ;)).

In the second image from the right it is showing the source of the stream, and if you look at the third from the left (in the middle) you can see A:M on my TV there. ;)

In the article it is visible in bigger and better to see ;).

A:M is actually running on my desktop computer and what I do there is, I use the TeamViewer-App (or the Remote Desktop App) to stream it to my smartphone which will show it on my TV (or any other device) but then gives me the power to use it with mouse and keyboard again... ;)

This technology is really nice and powerful and I am just starting to explore it ;).

See you

*Fuchur*

Is that like remote desktop?

I had remote desktop on my ipad and was able to run most my apps on the pc, new version is broken. Picked up this little 2:1 but get an open gl error on the RD with AM, guess it uses local video to process now. How does the stream get by that?

• Admin

Very interesting Fuchur.

Your insight into this is much appreciated.

I am rereading your article to better understand the process involved as I'd love to have a similar setup for mobile use.

I'm familiar with Team Viewer but almost none of the rest you mention.

Love that bluetooth fold-able keyboard too!

Is that like remote desktop?

I had remote desktop on my ipad and was able to run most my apps on the pc, new version is broken. Picked up this little 2:1 but get an open gl error on the RD with AM, guess it uses local video to process now. How does the stream get by that?

There is no exactly equal technology right now for iOS oder Android. Continuum will change the interfaces of the apps (Universal Windows Apps = UWA) to make it better useable on a big screen with a mouse and keyboard.

That means, the whole experience is extremly close to a desktop OS (even without using teamviewer or RDP).

Since this is a Windows 10 Mobile Smartphone (Lumia 950XL) it may also work with graphic drivers differently, than your iPad... it is a whole other approach to it.

Anyway I do not understand, why your iPad tries to use its own GPU for that. It can not be that powerful as the the computer's GPU anyway and like that is is not helpful at all, especially since the RDP system is often used by for instance a terminal server system (so one server with a lot of cores will provide the whole cpu power while the clients are only there to establish a connection and provide a screen, mouse and keyboard.

But who knows what they thought there...

See you

*Fuchur*

Did you try RD on your phone?

Yes, I have. It works. I did not use it for my article because it is harder to setup for most non-technical people than Teamviewer...

(meaning for it to work over the internet you need to make it available through Firewalls, etc. by hand)

Continuum is not about TeamViewer or RDP. You can use it with it, but it is not exactly the point it focuses on.

It is meant the other way round more or less: The software which normally runs on your smartphone with touch and display keyboards, etc. is projected to a big screen but with a different interface and without that the programmer needs to worry much about it if he wrote the code for a UWP already.

It will run close to a desktop computer just with UWP software. If you want it simple, it is about using software programs the same way as responsible websites. (and this is much too easy and only a small part of it too)

I just used teamviewer in this use case to illustrate that this is an option to let the desktop do the hard work here too, since smartphones can't run the same software or at least not as fast as a desktop if it is getting heavy... if you are interested I can give an overview about Continuum and how it works, but that may take me some more time than I can spare while being at work.

See you

*Fuchur*

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody...

I have created a new YouTube-Channel connected to this... if you'd like to know more about it, this is about Continuum with Gaming...

It is German but I've started to translate it for English speakers in the sub lines... (about 30 min are done, I'll go on translating it ;))

Don't know if it is interesting for some of you... I hope so... if not, just ignore it ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bstBPzoFM

See you

*Fuchur*