Hash, Inc. Forums

Shadows only renders

• Hash Fellow

In v18?

Try this....

- set your "ground" or whatever the shadows are falling on to Options>Receive Shadows ON>Shadows Only ON

-The objects that cast shadows should remain set to Options>Receive Shadows ON>Shadows Only OFF

When you render set

Buffers>Light Buffers ON

Buffers>Shadow ON

If you are rendering to TGA set Buffers>Alpha OFF (If you are rendering to JPG, the Alpha option won't appear)

This will render shadows only over the camera background color. You may want to set that to white if you are compositing this shadow pass with something else.

I think this would make a great feature request. A setting to render all shadowed areas with an alpha
channel. Even maybe an option for a white background or alpha. Maybe with a list of the lights in
the scene that cast shadows and you check the one or ones you want the shadows from.

ALSO....A render option for section cuts by objects. For instance....just a prop as if someone took the

final render and cut a certain prop out with a pair of scissors. That way, you could render objects final

render....but separate.

• Hash Fellow

I think this would make a great feature request. A setting to render all shadowed areas with an alpha

channel. Even maybe an option for a white background or alpha. Maybe with a list of the lights in

the scene that cast shadows and you check the one or ones you want the shadows from.

We have that already don't we? And we have per-light shadow buffers with OpenEXR renders

• 5 months later...

A few months on and trying something slightly different.

I'm trying to learn how to use TVpaint with a view to using it to complete Happy Families properly.

Hoping to get some shadows only renders to work with in TVP.

Light Sphere 000.png

This is the scene.

Followed Roberts advice above and,

it worked for the floor,

Floor  Shadows 000.png

But I can't seem to get it to work on the Sphere itself

Can anyone kindly point me to a possible solution?

Thank you

Simon

Ps

I hope to upgrade to V19 later this month.

Is it compatible with OSX10,11.4 ( El Capitan ) or,

Is it better to stick with 10.85 ?

• Admin
The resulting render just shows up as a blank alpha, ?

Are you positive of that?

It will often look that way as it is black shadow on a "perceived black" alpha channel.*

Some programs use a checkerboard pattern to avoid this problem.

An easy way to tell would be to temporarily bring the image back in to A:M as a rotoscope.

*The alpha channel has to be something so many programs display it as black.

• Hash Fellow

I think the shadow buffer represents only cast shadows. The shadowed side of an object is something different.

If you want a hard black and white shading on the ball, set its color to white and set its "Diffuse Falloff" to 0.

(The "Intensity" of the Klieg light must be 100%)

If you want to eliminate the darkness from the ground, where it isn't illuminated by the Kleig light, set its Ambiance Color to white and set its Ambiance Intensity to 100.

That should get you all white except for the shaded portion of the ball.

Does that get you what you want?