Hash, Inc. Forums

Detbear Simple Cartoon Eye Rig

detbear

• Admin

Decided to explore your eye rig and incorporate it into a character (of sorts).

For some reason (probably because I've been watching the movie) the eyes made me think of Maz Kanata from 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'.

I make no claim as to accuracy here as I am modeling from memory but hey... I'm amazed to see that at this stage the eye rig still works and I didn't break anything.

I was happy to see that the rig automagically squetched both eyes after importing two eyes into a new model. I thought for sure that wasn't going to work.

Thanks for sharing the rig Kevin!

Maz.jpg

• ____ 1

That's so cool Rodney. I'm glad it's working. Making the connections into a head mesh would be something very useful

for the community.

I laughed yesterday after the Q&A because if you erase the eye ball, the lids become a Packman rig.. :)

That rig can definately be improved and added on to.

I noticed yesterday that the front, pupil lens punches through the lids. It's been a long time since I looked at that

model.

Just made a pretty cool little discovery with my own eye 'aim at' simple setup- consisting of a bone in each eye(ouch!) and a null with 'aim at' constraints for each eye... THE DISCOVERY IS... if on 1 eye's 'aim-at' constraint you give it a lag factor of .25-.5 frame(fraction of a frame...)... it makes the character look more human and less robotic...

ANOTHER thing to consider whenst doing eyes...

I've found I was ENDLESSLY trying different settings of specularity, specular size, reflectivity, placing lights and other tricks trying to get that elusive EYE HIGHLIGHT to show up. Just when I had it looking good i would move a light or camera or action and it would disappear. SO- I resorted to placing a modelled small disc just in front of the eyeball... set to white with high ambiance... weighted half to the eyes bone and half to the head so it would not be locked to the pupil. I then made a simple pose slider +100/-100 that would make it larger or small/altogether gone. This way, I always have a nice 'pixar-ish' eye highlight that breathes life into a character making the eye look wet and alive.

TEMP.jpg