Hash, Inc. Forums

A:M Windows 10 Compatibility

detbear

I wasn't sure where to place this topic. It's probably already been discussed somewhere.

Does A:M function on the Windows 10 platform?

I'm upgrading out of necessity and will no longer be on past versions of windows.

I doubt I'll downgrade to Windows 7 or 8 on a new system.

I will however use A:M on my older systems if it won't run on Windows 10.

• Admin

I can confirm what Gerald said as well. I've been using A:M with Win 10 since the earliest moment that Win 10 was released.

That's how much I was ready to move on from Win 8! ;)

Win 8 and 8.1 worked great with A:M but I wasn't a fan of the interface changes.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to try to get my A:M V13/V14 running under Windows 10. Any help would be appreciated. I have not been successful so far. Double-clicking the icon does not seem to launch anything. The CD is in the DVD reader. The install seemed to go OK, I checked the box to copy the software to the drive. I did install it on my D: drive instead of the default C: drive, not sure if that could be an issue.

BTW: is there a way to search or show for all posts and threads I have participated in or posted? I can't seem to get any good info using the search. I also have a problem in that my name is "sb4" which the search says is too short and won't let me proceed.

Regards,

-SB

• Hash Fellow

I would like to try to get my A:M V13/V14 running under Windows 10. Any help would be appreciated. I have not been successful so far. Double-clicking the icon does not seem to launch anything. The CD is in the DVD reader. The install seemed to go OK, I checked the box to copy the software to the drive. I did install it on my D: drive instead of the default C: drive, not sure if that could be an issue.

BTW: is there a way to search or show for all posts and threads I have participated in or posted? I can't seem to get any good info using the search. I also have a problem in that my name is "sb4" which the search says is too short and won't let me proceed.

Regards,

-SB

We recently discovered and solved this problem for Windows versions earlier than 10. Read this thread for info.

Short Summary: Microsoft has disabled the system file needed for the CD copy protection to run

However, that fix doesn't include Windows 10 apparently.

I haven't actually tried it on a Windows 10 computer. A:M installs the file needed... you can try the registry mod mentioned in the Microsoft Bulletin linked to in that thread and see if that makes it work, but i don't know if it can.

• ____ 1

• Admin
BTW: is there a way to search or show for all posts and threads I have participated in or posted? I can't seem to get any good info using the search.

When searching for your own posts the best way is generally to use 'My Content' located in your forum settings/profile area. I believe this should list every post you've ever made.

I also have a problem in that my name is "sb4" which the search says is too short and won't let me proceed.

The forum is set to search for three letter words but doesn't always seem to do that... especially if searching for members. Instead of searching on 'members' search on 'forums' instead.

Also, if on the odd chance you'd like to change your forum name to something else (something longer for instance) just say, "Hey, can I change my forum name to ?" and the forum gremlins will see it and make the change.

Here's a search for all the topics you've posted in: LINK

P.S. You have a great last name. ;)

• ____ 1

• Hash Fellow

This article suggests that it is possible to run an older version of Windows under a virtual machine in Windows 10. I have not tried this.

Another possibility is to set up your computer to dual boot and have an older Win, like WinXP as one of the options.

• ____ 1

Thanks for those suggestions and tip on seeing my content -- it's been a while since I've been on this forum, I didn't remember that or it is new. (Maybe the last name explains the need to make a batch of choc chip cookies on a regular basis :P .)

I'll start tinkering with the Windows 10 suggestions. I know the subscription solves such problems and I'll eventually do that, but I'm interested in proving something with the old A:M CD for the time being -- it fits my workflow best at this time.

I would like to get as much info about the compatibility issues to help me. I'm guessing that there are some 32-bit "drivers" that come with the V13/V14 that are the main problem -- maybe screen drivers? Or disk/CD drivers? I'd be very interested in testing V13/V14 with Windows 10 32-bit. If anyone else who likes to tinker with legacy A:Ms can try it to test the 32-bit driver compatibility theory, that would be appreciated.

It's too bad there isn't a simple way to convert the 32-bit drivers to 64-bit -- like de-compile to C and recompile. I'm sure it's entangled with the Windows API or hardware in some deep way.

I would love it if the programmer(s) in charge of A:M would maintain a "classic" version of A:M, such as V14, for the purpose of getting new users interested and sell it at a reduced price. Seems like it could be a decent marketing strategy, and probably wouldn't require too much work to maintain it.

• Hash Fellow
I would like to get as much info about the compatibility issues to help me. I'm guessing that there are some 32-bit "drivers" that come with the V13/V14 that are the main problem -- maybe screen drivers? Or disk/CD drivers?

As far as the CD versions of A:M the one problem I'm aware of is that the copy protection can no longer run under Windows 10, rather than 32-bit issues. Once the above-mentioned registry maneuver is done the (32-bit) CD versions seem to run appropriately in my 64- bit Windows 7.

I would love it if the programmer(s) in charge of A:M would maintain a "classic" version of A:M, such as V14, for the purpose of getting new users interested and sell it at a reduced price. Seems like it could be a decent marketing strategy, and probably wouldn't require too much work to maintain it.

For now, I'd say our A:M programmer is fully tasked in maintaining three current versions (MacOS + 32 and 63 64 bit Windows).

V14 is so antique in the code that it has that maintaining it would probably be a huge extra effort with little return. The two-week free trial is Hash's nod toward the doubtful buyers.

I would like to get as much info about the compatibility issues to help me. I'm guessing that there are some 32-bit "drivers" that come with the V13/V14 that are the main problem -- maybe screen drivers? Or disk/CD drivers?

As far as the CD versions of A:M the one problem I'm aware of is that the copy protection can no longer run under Windows 10, rather than 32-bit issues. Once the above-mentioned registry maneuver is done the (32-bit) CD versions seem to run appropriately in my 64- bit Windows 7.

For now, I'd say our A:M programmer is fully tasked in maintaining three current versions (MacOS + 32 and 63 64 bit Windows).

V14 is so antique in the code that it has that maintaining it would probably be a huge extra effort with little return. The two-week free trial is Hash's nod toward the doubtful buyers.

Yes, I'm sure it is asking too much. I thought maybe once the Win10 compatibility was solved, there wouldn't be much to do, just leave it alone.

I see there is a $299 downloadable version of A:M available -- what is that? The store description doesn't say much about it and seems to contradict itself as to whether it is available on CD or not.

BTW IMO: 2 weeks seems a pittance for exploring A:M. I've been exploring for 10 years (in pockets of time - that's the problem) and still haven't actually produced an original animation because there are so many concepts that I'd like to understand rather than just the "do this" type of instruction. The best affordable resource I've found is the old 2006 book on A:M which matches V13/14, so that's partly why I like to work with that version.

I'm currently interested in using A:M to make 2-D animations using the "cartoon" feature, which I'm hoping could be a very practical way to create watchable, entertaining, and possibly commercial content without needing all the fancy bells and whistles of photo-realistic, physically dynamic 3-D modeling/animation. I love those high-end features, but a single animator can get bogged down and invest years developing efficient techniques for employing them in a real production. So in a retro kind of way I'm interested in seeing what I can do with the feature set of the V13/14.

On the other hand, if the latest version of A:M is more about improvements in stability, bug-fixes, input/output formats, performance and rendering than it is about new fancy features, then I can see it just might be a show-stopper to try to work with an older, buggy version. But I'll continue to obstinately explore the limits of V13/14 for a while anyway. I appreciate your patience in trying to help me overcome various problems with it.

-SB

• Admin
I see there is a $299 downloadable version of A:M available -- what is that? The store description doesn't say much about it and seems to contradict itself as to whether it is available on CD or not.

The only difference I know of is that when purchasing for $299 your license to the current release (at the time of purchase) will never expire.

When purchasing the standard subscription for $79 that will run for one year from point of activation.

Both perpetual and annual releases are downloadable installers activated by a keycode issued by Hash.

Both require contacting Hash Inc to transfer the license to any new system the program isn't initially installed on.

• Hash Fellow

I'll add that while the $299 version doesn't expire, you stop getting updates when Hash moves on to the next numbered version.

I recommend the annual $79 subscription.

I've been exploring for 10 years (in pockets of time - that's the problem) and still haven't actually produced an original animation because there are so many concepts that I'd like to understand rather than just the "do this" type of instruction.

And if there's some concept you'd like explained, I do Live Answer Time on Saturdays.