Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darthlister

Landscapes

Hey all, working on landscaping, possibly to be incorporated into an interactive format,

My question is, in order to be viable in such a format, what size have people experimented with? Do you create interactive/game landscapes in one big piece (which seems incredibly unwieldy after a while) or do you go from individual landscape to individual landscape (through the game engine? Still learning.

Anyway, right now I'm still working on the first piece of landscape (about 5000cmx5000cm) and am looking for ideas on where to go.

Thanks,

RIch

Landscapes? That's new territory for me. ;)

I'm going to guess it depends on the game engine and how handles large things like that that are not visible all at once.

BTW, some landscape meshes can benefit from the Push plugin that moves every CP on its normal to get a sharper, less sine-wavey look to the features.

push.JPG

Darthlister,

If you have to match a real world topo, then get the direct model from Google earth into sketchup.

If you are creating your own custom topo, You can do it directly within Unity via their topo tools. Unity has some

amazing stuff in their landscape tools. That way you don't have to fool with splitting it up and all that kinda thing.

or at least that's what I seem to remember. There are many tutorials on Unity Landscape on the web.

Robert,

I've played with push a few times; still getting the hang of it. can't find any documentation, so just sort of winging it;

Detbear,

Never really gave Sketchup much consideration until now; we had a graphic person at work who used to use it; looks fairly nice. May have to peruse some tutes

Thanks for the heads ups, guys

Rich