Hash, Inc. Forums

imported models

Madfox

I wondered how it comes when I import models with the *.obj extention I often get a scrambled surface on the skin.

For some reason the trivertices don't seem to fit in well and make bad shadows.

Does this have a reason, for example the normals are not fit in well, or is it just because of the nature of the object files?

Is there a way to get this effect blended so the surface rounds up well again?

Image4.jpg

That is not really possible... what you have there is a triangle-model. Those are especially unsuited for A:M.

You have two options: Peak the splines (which will look facetted) or use snap-top-surface (the retopoly-tool of A:M) and rebuild the model over the available geometry.

If it was a quad-faced-model, it could be useable with a little bit of work, but like this, that is close to unusable.

See you
*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

With all-triangular faces is is impossible to have the ideal intersections of splines where one spline crosses over one other spline and no other splines cross or dead end in that intersection.

To shade patches properly from one patch to another, all corners of the patches need to be in that X-intersection form.

Hey Madfox,

Don't get discouraged. This is a common problem with importing triangles. The good new is, the retopology tools can be used to make the model within A:M.

If you are working in a software that can export "Quads" rather than triangles, it will help. But honestly, there will still be issues.

ALSO.......If this model is going to be a prop without any advanced animation, you can import the .obj(Not a model import) directly into a Choreography as a "Prop".

Right click on "Objects" in the Project Work Space..........select "import" and then choose "Prop.".........then navigate to your .obj and select it. A:M will import the .obj.

These imported "Props"(.obj's) look really good in A:M. It's not a Hash model though....so it cannot be manipulated or changed as a model can be.

You can animate a props translation, rotation and scale, but you cannot rig it or manipulate its mesh.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your answers.

I searched in the manual for "retopoly-tool" but couldn't find an explanation for it.

I'm using Animation Master 16c but the only export it uses triangles.

I didn't found another solution to this, as with earlier models I also was stopped with this "only triangles export".

If I import an obj as a prop in choreografie the program stops and gets frozen.

What I did discover is, that when I delete the diagonal the squad is recovered.

Then the boring shadows fade and become a covered surface again.

It will take a long time to delete them all of course, but it seems possible.

Image5.jpg

Madfox,

You could also potentially export the model to a program like blender and then export out. I think blender will convert things to

quads. Not sure of the process though.

Also.....depending on the speed of your machine, it may seem to freeze up. Triangles will pretty much freeze A:M up trying to convert it to an A:M model. Especially

one like that. But it looks like you were able to get it converted as an A:M model.

I've had that same thing happen to me before.....

As Fuchur said, V17 is when retopology started. You can actually retoplologize using an obj.....which keeps you from having to convert the obj into a model in

A:M.