Hash, Inc. Forums

Game assets made in A:M by Madfox for Quake

robcat2075

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • *A:M User*

These are very good for low poly models.   How did you get the devil lady and catlady so curvy?    Also, why are some of the monsters blinking in and out in the videos?   Are you doing a whole mod?  Would be interested in seeing the full mod.   

Thanks for your attention and reply, Roger! 

I started modelling for Quake since 1999 with A:M 0.8. I found it a nice job to do, as it gave me much pleasure modelling these creatures. Quake has a low poly count of 1000tris/2000 verts so making things comes down to work as simple as possible. This looks easy, but isn't. To get the most expression while being limited is a rare task.

I used the devil lady from the EXtraData Cd Conquest, simplified it and gave it a fork. The catlady is from a womanmodel with a whip. Both I adjusted with the dynamic constraint. The whip lash was a more complicated part, as it needed different settings for gaining the elastic mode.

The blinking is because I used gifs, and some of them just come through the right way. Maybe the files are too large to expose. I tried to replace them with better ones.

Most of the models are used in game with fully extentions. They ride beautifull in the Quake contex. The fun part is that this game has a lot of input. There is a part of mapping, creating a world with polygons, and then shaping them up to large environnements. A perculiar nice thing is the light setting, that gives this "worlds" a realistic glow. Then there is the part of making these creatures, that walk along in these created shapes, and have the nasty abillity to fight the player, as he is in a world that isn't his own. At last there is the coding part that is quiet abstract, to change the game and alter these creatures to give them challeging properties, as well as making the game parms different.

I could show you some scenes there are made with them in one of my maps. I just have to dig into the archive to see what I can find. I took the map "FourFeather" that is commented on a good way by "The Quake Grave", someone that makes demo's of levels and has a special touch of giving his way of playing the level. He did this on more levels and is really good at it. I took the title from my own special favour of "Three Feather Waterfall", an old animation of Gerry Anderson, which was my favorite in my younger years, and also the one who encouraged my taste of making animation in general, like "The Thunderbirds". Another one that kept my attention of making models for in AnimationMaster.   

:rolleyes:

catwoman.gif

jewel.gif

• 8 months later...
  • Hash Fellow
On 6/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, Madfox said:

Here is a small promotion video dumptrunc made of my quake atributions I made with AnimationMaster.

That's great! You're a famous artist!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Had some fun with BioVision's bvh files and Animation Master!

It took some time to get used to the bone hiearchie. Most files start with a T-Bone pose from where it is possible to catch the right IK bone and corresponding Orient & Translate. Then themodel will act a-like. Some trouble with flying splines as CP weights. 
For models with low polycount it is atracting as they have not that dense surface to be divided in.

danc01.gif

danc08.gif

shambles3.gif

• Haha 1

The chasing Balrog is from the ExtraCd. Beautifully creature. 

Had a little scrible to match the 1000tris/2000verts limit. Converting it to 3ds gave a way higher count.

Finally I could use Meshlab to export object files and convert them back to 3ds. That way the corner points of the mesh stick together from 4 to 1.

Took me quiet long to discover the cause of this problem. Reason why exported 3ds files grew so large.