Hash, Inc. Forums

freeze pose

Madfox

I made a convoybelt with boxes, that slide along a rail.

I can make these boxes slide in a way that they roll with the bottom line over the convoybelt.

Now I want to make a stop at half the cycle.

When I start animating to the first 29 frames all goes well.

Then I need a stop for let's say 2 seconds.

So I take frame 0:0:29 and the want to go on to frame 0:2:29.

When I go on with my boxes sliding on in the same speed, I notice the box in the pause time

slightly starts moving from 0:0:29 to 0:2:29, this because the next 0:2:29 to 0:3:00 is moved.

Is there a way to keep the box in the pause time stay freezed?

• Hash Fellow

Go to the curve editor for what ever channel makes that box move, select the CPs that begin and end the hold, RMB on their selection box, choose Interpolation>Zero-slope.

Another option is to select only the first CP and choose "Hold"

• Admin

There are a couple approaches depending on how you've set things up.

The attached video is something similar to what I think Robert is talking about:

If this isn't on the right track... we may need to know more about your specific setup in order to be more specific.

ZeroSlope Linear Interpolation etc.mp4

Yes. that sounds very logical to use the curve editor.

Point is I'm not using the usual way of animating with bones.

I am in the action window and I am setting the clipnodes to another point.

It is a bit unusual,I know.., but in this case I didn't want to give all parts of the conveybelt a bone.

So now I am retracing the points, and it feels a bit odd as in the action window I can't make use of the SnapToGrid utility.

I'm not sure if I can use the curve editor, because in the Timeline window I can't see any lines.

Oh and I forgot, it are not the boxes that are the question,

it is the conveybelt itself.

Here is an illustration of what I mean:

coil00.jpg

-robcat275 : Iwrote clipnodes, I ment controlpoints.

I made the model out of triangles, as it are the same forms they are formed when exporting the model to 3ds.

You can say it is bad, but when I use squares, they become triangles in a way I can't predict.

I made a convoybelt that makes a round movement in one action.

As there is a compliant object that makes movements I thought it easy to stop the conveybelt for an additional movement. This seems not to be the case as the conveybelt starts moving from the first to the last pause moment.

So my question was: can I make it freeze on the pause moment, or be so queer to return 60 frames to their startpoint.

I think I better make a turning conveybelt, export the frames to 3ds, and just import the 29th frame 60 times.

• Hash Fellow

So it's an Action and not a Pose? Those are two different things.

Actions have an "Ease" channel that you can keyframe to control how fast or how much of an action is performed.

Try this post and see if that helps and if it doesn't come back for more.

Of course, this exporting-to-3DS-stuff will only lead to tears I tell ya...

t2301.gif

Yes, thanks robcat2075.., that's what I was looking for.

No wonder I couldn't find it when Ease is turned off.

I earlier had trouble with exporting frames.

Making simple objects always turn back to triangles while ex or importing.

I'm using much of my models for Quake and that's an old game.

In fact the reason I found AnimationMaster is, because it uses the same extention *.mdl.

The trouble with these old engine is, that it uses another way of converting meshes.

In this case models from Quake imported to animationMaster with *.3ds or *.dxf

seem to double all the controlpoints.

And as the game is rather sticky when it comes to vertices and triangles most results go lost.

I haven't found an answer for it yet.

I wish I had, so I could add more easily poses to the excisting ones in the game.

:)

For the reply of the question, what do I do when the subject is not a pose in the concerned way of a bone related object.

I mean, when I just make a spline of two controlpoints and I move them on the grid.

In that case does the Ease channel work?

For the screenshots, well.., you have no idea how much I've made of them.

I almost have a complete library

Here are some of the monsters, as well as the conveybelt.

beta-ogre2.jpg

death1.jpg

Elden0gre.gif

bones1.gif

cclaw.jpg

coil.gif

• Like 1

• Hash Fellow

I like those! Especially the jittering skeleton.

I have a suggestion on the conveyor belt... If you made the texture bigger than one belt segment, the motion would be easier for the eye to follow.

Likewise on the conveyor belt wheels.

For the reply of the question, what do I do when the subject is not a pose in the concerned way of a bone related object.

I mean, when I just make a spline of two controlpoints and I move them on the grid.

In that case does the Ease channel work?

I'm not sure I understand the situation and question.

The "Ease" channel is something that is in Actions only.

An A:M Pose© is controlled by an ON/Off Property or a slider property. A Pose© does not need/have an ease channel because it is controlled by the switch or slider.

If you are moving splines in space (with muscle mode) in an Action, that animation is part of the Action and the Action can still be governed by the Ease Channel.

I could make the texture bigger than one belt segment, but don't forget it is Quake,

a 20 year old game with a framerate of 0.1 sec.

The jittering is because of that rather slow movement, in game it is much smoother.

It's only because it is a kinky way of recording in game sequenses, otherwise I had showed them.

What the other question matters:

Let's say I'm in the object window, I create a line of two controlpoints.

Then I go to the action window and start moving this line with the Translate Mode one unit.

When I am on the second frame I want the line to freeze.

When I go on to the sixth frame I start moving again for one unit.

What happens is that the third, fourth and fifth frame gather small intersection which I don't need.

If it was a pose movement with a bone I could use the Ease in the Timeline window.

But as I am animating straight from the line I don't know if I can use this manner.

If it were just three frames I could get away with it, but when it are 40 frames,

as in the convoybelt it, takes a hell of a time to get them all frozen.

^_^Image6.jpg

What you need to change is the interpolation-method for the keyframes you want to stop for that.

Go to "Views > Timeline" and in the timeline itself select the keyframes, which should stand still by drag-selecting them.

Right-Click on the selection and choose "Interpolation-Method > Linear" or "Interpolation-Method > Zero Slope".

The first will just start and stop the movement, the last will ease in and out but keep the keyvalue inbetween where it does not change from one to another key.

See you

*Fuchur*

Fucher_: that's close what I'm searching, but I forgot to make a keyframe.

Robcat2075 : Yes! That's exact what I was looking for.

Sorry for being such a dumbass, but by seeing what you're doing you made it quiet clear to me.

Thanks for your time and support!

:D