Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The new Muppet Show

Roger

• *A:M User*

So I happened to catch an episode of this before getting rid of cable, and remembering the original show from when I was a kid, the new one seems rather adult and not terribly family safe.

I don't remember the original show being this cynical, I suppose it is possible that it was the same and jokes meant for adults sailed over my head, but the new one seems terribly overt with the drug and sex references (it is implied that Electric Mayhem uses weed, and Miss Piggy is shown talking about Tindr, while Fozzie is attacked by Piggy (I think) for having a "new piece of fur" (replace fur with a cruder term for posterior, and you get where this is going).

I just find it hard to believe that this was sanctioned by the Henson family.

Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for this type of humor and I don't consider myself a prude, however it just doesn't seem appropriate for something that at first glance seems intended as a family show.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *A:M User*

I doubt it. That's why it seems so out of place. I guess I would have to go and watch some of the old episodes to compare, but I'm fairly sure they weren't anything like the new show.

I'm sure it's an effort to be relevant.

I don't mind it so much, myself. Henson hated that people thought the Muppets were kiddy entertainment. The original Muppet Show didn't include those subjects, but then most TV shows in the 1970s didn't talk much about those subjects.

I do firmly believe that entertainment doesn't have to be borderline offensive, but I'm in the minority these days. Nobody is concerned about being a TV show being a "guest" in people's homes anymore ...and if you try to go that route, you'll just be dismissed.

• 3 weeks later...

When they first announced the new Muppets show, they stated that the target audience where us grown up types. Even though I was excited for the show (loved the original), I'm beginning to feel like this one is a miss. Not really feeling entertained by it. It has nothing to do with the humor, adult or otherwise, I'm just not digging it.