Hash, Inc. Forums

I would like to try new version of A:M

kikiriki

Hi guys!

I was a long time A:M user. For my new project I (had to) switched to Blender. Blender is great in some aspects and really bad in others. I really miss the logic and workflow of A:M. I have coworkers and I simply cannot explain them how to make some things (like object instances) which was extremely easy in A:M but practically impossible in Blender. I cannot show them that- since my A:M version 13 doesn't work on my Windows 8 anymore (don't know why, since it worked couple of months ago when I tried. On the same system of course. Maybe some new Windows update has messed something... Of course I tried deinstalled and installed again... etc...).

I can see there is a trial version of A:M. But: "Hash Inc. is only offering 1000 trials for Hash Animation:Master v.18.0 at the moment! This limit has been reached!"

The button "Ask directly" doesn't work.
How can I get the demo of new version of A:M? Has many things changed since v13?
Thanks in advance!
Dušan

• Hash Fellow

"Had to" switch to Blender? That's like saying you "had to" order the sheep's head soup when there was edible food elsewhere on the menu. :rolleyes:

I think if you're going to give away the secret features that make A:M so good you should at least give them the $79 subscription. ;)

Quite a few things are new since v13. My favorites are quicker rendering, selection filters and fast screenspace AO (in addition to regular AO).

I really miss the logic and workflow of A:M.

Yes, Blender's outliner would be tremendously useful if it was anything like A:M's project workspace.

Regarding object instancing, however, I can't see what the problem is. Instancing is all about linking data to objects. If you're making an instance of something in the same file, do a Duplicate Linked. If the source data is in an external file, do a File | Link. A:M does pretty much the same thing under the bonnet.

robcat2075

Sheep's head or no sheep's head, A:M doesn't offer much in the way of sculpting, UV editing or overlay sketching, for example. So there are very tempting morsels to consider.

Hi guys!

I was a long time A:M user. For my new project I (had to) switched to Blender. Blender is great in some aspects and really bad in others. I really miss the logic and workflow of A:M. I have coworkers and I simply cannot explain them how to make some things (like object instances) which was extremely easy in A:M but practically impossible in Blender. I cannot show them that- since my A:M version 13 doesn't work on my Windows 8 anymore (don't know why, since it worked couple of months ago when I tried. On the same system of course. Maybe some new Windows update has messed something... Of course I tried deinstalled and installed again... etc...).

I can see there is a trial version of A:M. But: "Hash Inc. is only offering 1000 trials for Hash Animation:Master v.18.0 at the moment! This limit has been reached!"

The button "Ask directly" doesn't work.
How can I get the demo of new version of A:M? Has many things changed since v13?
Thanks in advance!
Dušan

Hello,

I have updated the count now you can try out the software. I knew it was getting close but I did not know it was that close.

"Had to" switch to Blender? That's like saying you "had to" order the sheep's head soup when there was edible food elsewhere on the menu. :rolleyes:

Yes "had to" is a good term. I made quite a few projects with A:M over the years (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTyLlqDyrgo or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs_TTh2LG8s)

And after investing so much time and energy into mastering 3D tool, it's not easy to switch to something else (because you know that you will need to invest another couple of years to master another 3D tool). A:M didn't made serious update for 10 years. And that's a stone age in 3D industry. If A:M wouldn't be so "closed" and would allow us to export our work to external renderer (or import models from other applications) then I would gladly use A:M as my main tool (around it I would use tools like Zbrush, Vray etc...). And I'm sure most of users (from once once flourishing community) would stay too...
But the decision was that "A:M won't be plug-in for other 3D programs..." :-(
I think if you're going to give away the secret features that make A:M so good you should at least give them the $79 subscription. ;)

Before I pay 79$, I would like to know that A:M works on my computer. Since version 13 doesn't, it could happen that v18 won't work from the same reason (AFAIK A:M code didn't change much all those years...)
If you're making an instance of something in the same file, do a Duplicate Linked. If the source data is in an external file, do a File | Link. A:M does pretty much the same thing under the bonnet.

Thank you for your advice, but unfortunately it's not that easy. Theoretically it should work as you said- but it instancing works only on very simple models (like the ones from manuals and tutorials). If you use complex rigs with a lot of Shape Keys- it would make a mess...
I have updated the count now you can try out the software. I knew it was getting close but I did not know it was that close.

Jason, thank you very much! :-)

• Admin

Dusan,

It's great to see you here in the forum again.

You've been missed!

I would like to know that A:M works on my computer. Since version 13 doesn't,

That is beyond odd.

I'm curious about what kind of computer you have that won't run v13. And I guess it'd be good to know what exactly doesn't work... A:M won't even start? Parts of it don't appear to work?

I don't think I've encountered a computer (running Windows) that can't run v13. Okay, maybe one running Windows 95 or ME, those might have some issues with modern software.

This forum is here to help folks get past exactly those types of problem.

BTW - If you still keep in contact with Ken Heslip, drop him a message and tell him we want to see him back in action too! :)