Hash, Inc. Forums

Why are the 4 point patches on the surface not filling?

Pitcher

I have been trying to make a chianti bottle. For whatever reason the 4 point patches are not filling in. I have tried rendering, but the patches don't fill in there either. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any ideas? A picture of the bottle as it exists now follows:Chianti bottle.png

• Hash Fellow

If they are still empty when it renders then it isn't just a problem of Show Backfaces OFF (shift-6)

You're sure all the latitude and longitude lines are attached together, I suppose.

If you want to PM it to me I'll take a look at it.

Thanks. That was great! I did not know about the show back faces off button. I apparently hit F6 accidentally and did not know what happened. Also, I have been having difficulty with rendering transparent bottles in general and switched my settings for rendering to shaded from final. Basically, I don't know a lot about the settings, and I use the same settings for quite a while once they work. When I change something accidentally, it always mystifies me. I really did not make this bottle with the lathe. I started with a circle and extruded the bottle and then shaped it by hand somewhat before I then extruded the basket from the bottom of the bottle. Then, when I had all the problems with the patches that would not show up, I started removing the layers underneath to see if they were causing the problem somehow (but I did not get all of the excess splines). Next time, I probably try to use the lathe. You are so much more scientific and knowledgeable about all of this than I am. I just poke around using trial and error and a few things I learned out of the book that came with the program or David Rogers's book or something that I learned in the Forum. Now, this is one more set of things I can look back on and try when this happens again. Eventually, there will be a collection of these called "The Pitcher Screw-ups" so that people who make my mistakes (if there are any such people) can find these write-ups with the solutions you and others provide.