Hash, Inc. Forums

Normals are not looking very Normal

detbear

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really struggling to repair normals when they appear like this

on the screen.

Normals are not looking normal.jpg

V 18 is what I'm in.

ALSO....A great feature request would be to have an option to color the patches "red" or "blue" depending on what direction.

Then have an option to "flip all red" or "Flip all blue" THAT WOULD BE GOLDEN :)

RobCat.....

I know it looks different than a normal, but as crazy as it appears....that's actually what it is.

David.....

I looked at my version of 18 and in fact I am on 18L. So this could indeed be the issue.

Thanks for you guys input. I need to upgrade, but that's tough in the middle of a project. I may port

it back into V17 to flip things.

Is there a better solution to fixing normals. I find that while Steffen's plug-in does help some places, it creates other

undesireble "flips" than were correct originally.

Thanks,

Kevin

No other way that I know of other than the tried and true... turn on normals, eyeball model for wrong facers, use the patch selection tool in conjunction with shift to select multiples... F key to flip...

Your feature request sounds great with the red and green, however... the essence of a normal is that the program really does not know which side of the patch to point to as 'forward', therefore it could never discern which patches you are referring to to flip when you say 'flip all red'... all patches have red on ONE side of them... so all patches would flip. No?

Matt,

I'm not familiar with the nuts and bolts of the programing, but it could be you are correct.

I think the hardest thing is fishing through all the little yellow lines. It's so hard to see in many cases.

BUT if you had an option like "Show normals as color patches", one could easily pick out the ones that

had the odd color. The speckles or groups of speckles....

If the software can have patches one way or the other(And it obviously does)....I figured there may be some way to

color the patches according to the direction they're facing.

Who knows? :)

And what is "in" and what is "out"?

That is very hard to define for a software, if the object is not waterproove.

I had an idea before about this, involving a "light-like" emitter of rays which a person can put into a object and everywhere where the rays hit a surface (and bounce off again and again like photons/radiosity would do) the normals would face away of the hitzone there... but till now it is only a feature request and I am not sure if it would work in every situation.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

The better identifier for seeing ab-normal patches is to toggle Backface Culling (Shift 6) and view in shaded mode. Inside-out normals are pretty obvious then.

RMB>Refind Normals does a pretty good job of getting all normals in the same direction

• Hash Fellow

If I RMB in the model window with nothing selected there is a menu choice for "Refind Normals"

I'm not sure what the intended difference between "Correct Normals" and "Refind Normals" is.

A model that crashes "Correct Normals" would be a good candidate for a bug report.