Hash, Inc. Forums

How to get rid of holes when decaling

Pitcher

I have decaled quite a bit with good results, but today I encountered a new problem. I used a 32 bit TGA as the decal on a character that I made using the decal as a rotoscope. (In other words, the figure fits fairly well with the decal.) When I apply, I see actual holes in the model. It looks as if the picture has worn through with ragged edges. I'm using Version 18j (64 bit). There are no holes in the model before the decal is applied. I have attached a picture of the model below.

I'm interested in how to avoid the problem and how to fix it. Thanks.

Burro with holes.png

Donkey rendered99.jpg

• Admin

Those look like areas of inverted Normals to me but before looking into that I'd suggest doing a final render to see if the abnormal areas render. If they don't then... problem solved. You'd just have to allow for them in real time view. That would indicate the problem is related to your realtime drivers of your graphics card.

If related to normals you'll want to select the patches at those areas, Right Click and choose Flip Normals.

You could also turn Normals on in Tools/Options so that you can see which way they are pointing.

Added: Another thing it could relate to would be internal patches where the mesh underneath is creating hidden/unnecessary patches. Internal patches will cause trouble on the surface of a mesh as A:M has to decide which way is up for displaying the surfaces of those patches.

• Admin

It will help to have a view of how the mesh is laid out along with the imagery. For example, that'd let us know if those are areas that have 5 point patches.

To get the shaded wireframe view hit the 0 (zero) key on the top of your keyboard (or Right click and change the View to Shaded Wireframe) then use the Print Screen (PrtScn) key to grab the image, paste that into an image program and post the image here.

• Hash Fellow

Those look like areas of inverted Normals to me...

That's my first guess. I'm thinking that some 5-pointers are not pointing the same way as their adjoining patches.

BTW... you can post JPGs and PNGs directly to the forum for easier viewing by your readers.

I checked, and they all seem to be on five point patches. I also rendered, and the holes don't show up on the rendered image. I flipped normals for the patches, and I did not see a difference on the real-time view. Thanks for your help. I will know just to ignore the holes in the real-time view. I also appreciate knowing about the attachment function. That will make it not only easier for viewers to see the picture, but also much easier for me to post the picture.