Hash, Inc. Forums

Obj Import

detbear

I find that some obj models simply refuse to import/ convert into A:M even if their file size/ complexity is radicaLLY reduced in the exporting APP.

I would expect long conversions for high meg files, but these are as low as 3-9 megabyte obj models. I'm sure that there are many factors that

I'm unaware of in this process, but at the same time much more complexed models transfer easily at times. I wonder how to improve this if

possible.

I'm happy to have the obj import option for sure, but it just won't import certain models. It seems to hate any triangles whatsoever.

Would love to hear how you other guys are importing obj's, 3ds's, etc.

That's a lengthy topic.

Do you need the script at post #1 AND the "Middleman" thingy?? Or is it improved down in a further post???

That seems like a long workaround. I don't have any experience with blender either.

Frustrating.

Nemyax,

Thanks. Got it installed and I'm working on an export. Looks very promising.

OOOOppps!!!!!!

Keeps giving me an error. It is a large model. (.obj that's 39 megabytes)

I will keep trying.

Is there a way to import .obj sequences into blender? From Hash??

Is there a way to import .obj sequences into blender?

Well, you can try this file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B___ge5IO2JdYlZTLWY3T2RFUWs/view?usp=sharing

Put it in the folder where your .objs are, open it in Blender and click the Run Script button in the text editor window (the left pane with some Python code; the button is at the bottom). It should load all of the .objs from the folder.

Keeps giving me an error.

Can you post the error in the addon topic? I'll try to look into it.

Tried a 5.5 meg obj. I had took 7 mins hung at 20% and 60% but they usually finish if you let them go been a while but it seems the AM import time was greatly reduced by quad import vs triangles if possible or if possible try lwo. vs obj. depending on the apps you are using

23.4 meg obj........started transfer yesterday at about 4:30. It's now 12:30 the next day and it's only at 60 perc.

I actually converted it to quads in Blender which brought the file size down some. And because I know A:M hates

triangles. But this is a grueling way to have to do it. Plus it completely straps the computer for the time it takes to

complete.

I don't have lightwave, but I'm not sure that would be much shorter.

Hopefully it will transfer.

Sorry but you just would not be happy with the result of such a thing anyway...

How many polygones are there? Sounds like a lot. Depending on what you want to do with it, it will be unusable that way anyway.

You did convert it with blender to an MDL-file and tried to import that, right?

I would recommend to import it eighter as a prop and do a retopology OR you import it into blender, reduce it there (retopology) and work that way.

You could although try to split the model into several and try it that way, but that depends on what you have there.

Hey,

Thanks Fuchur for your suggestions.

I had already worked on those routes. You are correct that they do work. But

It is massively time comsuming.

Yes...I did convert to Quads in Blender first. And I also did splits and separated things prior...

But it is a very complexed model and that's hard to do.

:)