Hash, Inc. Forums

Display of bones

Hi there, by accident, I changed the display of bones in a mode, where they get displayed as sticks only.

Up to now I was not aware that this is possible ...

Where and how can I reverse that so they get displayed in their usual elongated diamond shape again?

Regards,

Heiner

• Admin

This feature was added in v18d. According to the change log:

• New All
    - 6456: Feature request: Option to select the visual representation of bones switching to simple bone draw mode (bones are drawn as simple line instead of shaft) possible with keyboard shortcut "Shift+7" or the button from Tools->Customize->Commands->Draw (you need to add this button manually for the first time) keyboard shortcut can found at Tools->Customize->Commands->Keyboard "Toogle bone draw mode

So perhaps you hit the Shift 7 combination of keys and it changed your Bones Drawing Mode ™

Whack those keys (Shift and 7) simultaneously again and that should get your bones drawing with the diamond shapes again.

I'm glad you posted your question because a few days ago I was trying to remember how to turn it on.

Hi there and thanks, thats what I was triggering by accident.

I guess that feature shall help when you have too much bones to draw

and speed that up.

Thanks again

cheers

Heiner

• Admin

I almost jumped on the bandwagon after reading about this feature and suggested a mode that would allow a dot/circle (or even an image) to be projected in place of the standard bone.

The idea being to be able to customize the look of bones. My thought was that I'd love to be able to move things around while seemingly just moving a dot/circle. This would be especially useful in those areas of greater detail such as the face where there may be many bones.. It should be noted that this wouldn't work as I had imagined because when selecting the bone it temporarily draws in normal 'diamond' mode. I'm not sure if that is a graphics card thing or intended that way. A further step down the trail of imaginary features that no one might use could be to allow any spline to actually be defined as (read: also be (?)) a Bone. Scary stuff there too be sure. This stems from a couple tries to animate characters with no bones but via splines that control other geometry like bones via constraints (primarily the Group constraint).

But to the question...

According to Tore (who requested the feature) his intended usage was to un-clutter his view:

Option to select the visual representation of bones. Especially stick-look would be most welcome and give a much better and less cluttered view on the bone position when animating.

Added: I should have said that the way to get that dot/circle I was looking for is to define the bones length as very small... like... point zero one. The the base and the tip will for all practical purposes be in the same place. When trying to move the dot/bone it tends to default to rotation so translation is usually done best via arrow key.

• Hash Fellow

I am not quite sure what this feature is for, but yes, Rodney is right... Shift + 7 and it will toogle.

Anyone has a use case for that?

I think someone wanted it to reduce visual clutter when bones are visible.