Hash, Inc. Forums

Windows 10 Free upgrade - omissions listed

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

I don't like automatic updates being the only option on the home version.

Yeah, it's a bit paternalistic but I'm going to guess they did some research and found the people with the most unnecessary problems are the ones not doing the updates quickly.

Has there ever been a serious problem with an update? I don't know.

I don't like automatic updates being the only option on the home version.

Yeah, it's a bit paternalistic but I'm going to guess they did some research and found the people with the most unnecessary problems are the ones not doing the updates quickly.

Has there ever been a serious problem with an update? I don't know.

I had one update hose me...had to roll it back. Luckily that worked.

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya.

How much will it cost to get the Pro version? Where I don't have to update? I honestly *hate* updating...every update slows my computer down more and more. Right now, I'm at a start up time of roughly 3 minutes from when I see the "Windows" log-in password screen. I use some old programs, and some 'simplistic' ones... I've had windows Update totally screw with too many of them.

Anyway...auto-update required = no f'in way. So...anyone know the price of the Pro version?

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Put 10 preview on one win 7 one win 8.1 love it compared to 8 like coming back home . I think it was someone here who said it is every other windows version that is good win vista ? win 7 + win 8 ? win 10 +++ so far as I can see the free upgrade will stop a lot of problems it would seem. I have had one win 7 update go bad where I had to roll back ,but as Fuchur said when you look at the statistics failure rate wise I cannot possibly complain. Might stop my constant procrastination about backups .

You may want to op for the ISO and snag the update and key. There has been some bugs with some hardware drivers such as video and audio. If you have Win 8x then 10 is a good fix. I reserved my copy for all my machines. First one I am updating is my Win 8 machine. I am. Little hesitant with my machine I run my laser with and my workstation that has the same install since I put 7 in quite a few years ago.

My brother has been on the Win 10 beta since first release and it is really nice performance wise.

• Hash Fellow

After running the Windows 8.1 update assistant it says several apps I have will not be compatible (and, i presume, not compatible with Windows 10 either) including...

Adobe AfterEffects 5.0

Corel Painter 11

Macromedia Flash 5

Ouch!

It doesn't give an opinion either way on A:M

A:M runs fine on Windows 8.1 here. (my laptop runs 8.1)

I assume it works with Windows 10 too, but I have not tested that.

But Windows is very long backward compatible in general. (much longer than for instance MacOS)

Like that I am not really afraid this will be a problem.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

Windows 10 should work better with most apps than Win 8. Microsoft really wants folks to update to 10 so they are pushing that aspect hard.

And it's important to note that 'not compatible' does not mean 'will not run'.

It's more of a means of optimization and ensuring common/supported frameworks are used.

Maybe Windows 10 will have compatibility settings for old programs?

It would be very odd if it didn't.

• Hash Fellow

I'm most worried about AfterEffects 5.0.

If that stopped working all my old projects would become accessible. The current version of AfterEffects CS won't load my legacy projects (I've tried the trial version) and there is no intermediate version for sale that would convert them except pirate/used copies as you find on ebay.