Hash, Inc. Forums

Thanks for v18M

• Admin

I'm running through the additions to v18M and am enjoying what I've seen thus far.

It should go without saying that the TIF and PSD format plugins are much welcomed additions. (and for those of you that need to use an earlier subscription version of A:M it works well with those too.

I was initially scratching my head about the 'Respect Z Order'/Shaded Mode selection option... it wasn't until I went back and read the changelog again and started experimenting that the lightbulb turned on. The main benefit at present appears to be for use with decals (nice!) but I've already used it to quickly work through images stacks too. I may leave that thing on all the time**.

Snap Bone to (CP) Manipulator... too cool. That'll be useful!

More experimentation!

Thanks!

**Nope. I won't do that because there are some functions that can use that method that will lead to very interesting results.

For instance, I note that using the Split Patch wizard will ignore the CPs that aren't visible in the patch splitting process.

Resykts like that can be very useful but I'm not sure I'll want that to *always* happen by default.

'Respect Z Order": It can be very helpful if you are working with very dense meshes, but in many situations you do not want that to be on. Maybe it can help with Stamps, but keep in mind that you can reaccess stamp-selections by rightclicking on the stamp and stuff like that... I know these kind of selections in other software and I hated it there, since when I just wanted to make some object a little bit bigger it really was bad for me, since I just later saw, that it was not the whole object but only the first part of that. With the button you can use it if you need to, but remember to turn it off again after that... it really is less often a help than a problem if you are used to the way A:M worked before, especially since this is only for shaded-views till now

TIFF and PSD is a god sent feature and Snap Bone to CP is something many riggers wanted here, so it goes without saying that this will help many people a lot :).

See you
*Fuchur*

Thanks Steffen!

I like the "snap bone to cp" very much - I can see it being very useful when positioning bones, rather than having to eyeball it.

Unfortunately any new feature - just makes one think that there are other mods that could be made - such as when snapping a parent bone to a cp, it would be nice to have an option (ie like when using ctrl and/or a manipulator currently in bones mode) such that the children of the parent move with the parent (but do not snap). Currently I only see the parent snapping, children stay in place.

And similarly, to simplify rigging, it would be nice to have a snap bone to bone - to align control bones with geometry bones, which very commonly occurs. Currently one does this with constraints of course - but requires doing it in an action, and then exporting the model (which has other problems). It would be better to be able to do it as a bone mode option (in addition to the constraints available in skeletal mode)

• Admin

Unfortunately any new feature - just makes one think that there are other mods that could be made - such as when snapping a parent bone to a cp, it would be nice to have an option (ie like when using ctrl and/or a manipulator currently in bones mode) such that the children of the parent move with the parent (but do not snap). Currently I only see the parent snapping, children stay in place.

And similarly, to simplify rigging, it would be nice to have a snap bone to bone - to align control bones with geometry bones, which very commonly occurs. Currently one does this with constraints of course - but requires doing it in an action, and then exporting the model (which has other problems). It would be better to be able to do it as a bone mode option (in addition to the constraints available in skeletal mode)

Put it in A:M Reports! :)
There is even more reason to put feature requests into A:M Reports these days. Number 1: The feature is not likely to be added to A:M (although Steffen is amazingly able to do just that!) so there is no pressure to implement our crazy idea of the moment. Number 2: If it relates to something recently implemented the code is fresh on Steffen's mind so it may be (relatively) easier to implement than a completely unrelated feature. Number 3: It'll provide a selection of features to choose from in the future and help prioritize those. Number 4: It might inspire a different and/or better feature. Number 5: It might inspire someone else to create a plugin. Number 6: As has always been the case, feedback (through A:M Reports) helps define the future of the software. Number 7: If there is no report on there is no known/officially documented interest in that feature/bug/innovation/approach. Shall we go on? :)