Hash, Inc. Forums

No 64 bit for Mac !?

a.quaihoi

Hey guys & gals

finally got around to getting back onto AM to chip away at some old projects, just got myself the new V18 subscription no 64 bit version for mac ?? Running slow as on my twin processor dual core xeon with Nvidia Fx 4800 - what is the SSE4 for mac ?? Or should I just boot camp it, which is what I did last time.

Another thing, when I apply decals in shaded wireframe view it doesn't show the texture previews until I render them - is that a mac thing or is it a setting in options for video card ??

Hi :).
Welcome back :). There are a few new tools and features but A:M itself looks the same and should be easy to get into again... :)

For Mac users, Maverick made it worth as far as I know... but the textures not showing up on Shaded Views is not a Mac thing but an option... press "CTRL + D" (or maybe Mac + D on a Mac?).

Cant look at the moment but you can switch it with the draw toolbar too and it is by default not on.

In general, if you are fine with it, I would recommend using Bootcamp. The Windows version is a little more stable.
SSE4 is a command set which needs to be understood by your CPU to work. If it does it makes certain operations faster. If your cpu can do it, use it.

64bit and n-Core support are two different things. 64bit can use more than 2 GB of RAM (or with a certain Hack 3 GB) while n-Core will use more CPU cores at the same time.

There is an option (at least for Windows... i assume it is there for Mac too) called OpenMP in the options which can accelerate A:M on multicore systems. (make sure to set the threads to n - 1 cores to be able to work with your computer even if A:M is using all the other cores... it will only do that on very certain operations, but I think it is the better option.

See
*Fuchur*

Thanks fellas ! Yeah I just had a tonne of stuff to catch up on, I'll try that now Fuchur, am now def going to play with the STL export !!! Man I requested this ages ago snd now its a reality sweet !

• Hash Fellow

If you have a machine that can run 64-bit Windows... go 64-bit. There's no downside to it.

Steffen does all his initial dev on a 64-bit machine so that ought to be its happiest environment.

I'm on "Windows 7 Home Premium" and it's been fine.