Hash, Inc. Forums

Ultra Eye....Eyelid setup?

detbear

Hey Guys,

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever constructed an eye/ lid/ cheek/ brow setup where the lids move with the eyes.

Something like in this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAZIvyAJfeM

Would really like to find out if anyone has setup something similiar. Or if not....Any help in this direction would be awesome.

Thanks and cheers,

William

• Hash Fellow

I'll note that for the outward bulge of the lens against the eyelid to work, we'd need to model eyelids with more patches than we typically do.

Edit... some more thinking out loud.... the bulge of the eyelids may best be done with a surface constraint..

I like Chris Jones' work a lot. He made my favorite short by an individual, "The Passenger" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGW0aQSgyxQ )

The Squetch Rig's eyes have a lot that can be done...here's a quick video of a few things. I was in the process of making a video for all of the FACE controls when the flood hit (I'll get back to that when I can upgrade my laptop).

As far as the bulge with the eyelids closed, cloth might do the trick. The eyelids will move with the eye when they are closed in Squetchy Sam, but the bulge would require a little tweaking.

Hope that helps.

eye_example_04_22_2015.mp4

I think also, Chris uses "driven" textures to achieve some of that.

This is probably the best example of a face I've seen anywhere. Other than the "Snappers" face rig.

In my opinion A:M should be able to do this ver well. The only difference is not being able to easily subdivide

areas into heavier mesh. BUT A:Ms toolset should be able to produce something fantastic.

The skin weighting and other secondary reactions would take some serious doings.

• Hash Fellow

Ideally one could use a Projection map to create Displacement for the bulge on the eyelid because, unlike a decal, projection maps can be animated to change position across a mesh.

However, Displacement is not a choice for Type in Projection maps.

On the Newtek forums, Chris has a page dedicated to the process he used.

I haven't really looked at it. But apart from the geometry, he does utilize moving texture images

to get some of the ultra realistic results. I think he used sculptris to make rinkles and such. Then he

converted those into deform maps.