Hash, Inc. Forums

Frame.io (more online project management/collaboration applications)

Rodney

• Admin

As more and more collaborative teams hit the internet to bring their projects to life small and large services are popping up to address that need.

In the past I've mentioned a few and several of those have since had significant upgrades.

Shotgun (recently purchased by Autodesk) is one that gets the majority of press because they got a head start on their competition and have invested deeply in the features needed to bring projects through production.

Frame.io is another of these services.

Will it work well for your next project? Answer: It depends.

On the low end (the space which most independent creators occupy) where a team of two or three work on a project services such as Frame.io may be well worth investigating. Frame.io's starting tier is free for 5 or fewer collaborators (although note this is not the same as 5 team members).

http://support.frame.io/article/13-how-much-does-frame-io-cost

There are a few getting started videos: http://support.frame.io/category/5-getting-started-videos

At this time the Project Management/Approval part of the service appears to be limited to a simple toggle of a 'Completed' tab in response to comments posted by collaborators but this may be sufficient in many cases.

Project/Media Management has improved significantly from the days of 'Tin Woodman of Oz' and DotProject**.

A few other services that have been vying for attention that have been covered in the forum before include Shotgun, Sony Media Cloud Services, RGBNotes, and Tactic. All have their various pros and cons and associated price points.

Related applications/services I haven't looked into: CineSync

**While it started off with excellent potential DotProject seemed to have plateaued and hasn't been updated since 2013.

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

For those likely to use Adobe Premiere for their video editing, Frame.io is becoming an even more useful project management tool.

Here's an overview of recent improvements to Frame.io:

https://frame.io/premiere

Disclaimer: I have not yet attempted to use Premiere with Frame.io. Mostly because I don't currently have any content/projects ideal for testing in that environment.

My editor and I have been toying with this... it works really well and seems to have everything you could think of. Shows-up right within Premiere, you can see the edit and make comments in a browser... soon to be available on phones and After Effects. We do a LOT of work with clients out of the city (there is hardly ANY work to be found within Detroit these days...!) and this should be 'the next big thing' for getting the advantage over feedback, teamwork and integration.