Hash, Inc. Forums

Direct X Export Problem

Rodney

• Admin

This may already have been addressed but I didn't see it mentioned...

In trying to export via an Action to .X (Direct X) format but the export dialog has an 'Open file' dialog instead of a 'Save As' or 'Export' dialog.

Hitting Open just results in a error message that the file cannot be found to open (which of course I don't want to do in the first place).

I can't see any way to get past this and before I go about trying to locate an older .hxt to file to test I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone have any insights into how to successfully export to Direct X format?

Hi Rodney ... If I remember correctly you need to export a model first as a Direct X file. Then when you export the action file, it is asking which X model file you wish to "open" to add the exported action file to. Hope this helps ... Bruce

Exactly what Bruce said ;).

First export the model with textures and bone hierachy, then attach actions to it. Like that you can attach several actions to the same file, which would otherwise not be possible.

See you
*Fuchur*

• Admin
Could you upload the action and model you try to use?

No need to upload as you have the same thing.

Open Rabbit

Export as .X

Create New Action with Rabbit

Pose Rabbit

Export as .X action with Rabbit

I tried the simplest test I could think of to see if the exporter would work. ;)

• Admin

I was partially successful with a simple character although I'm still trying to get the action to show up in the other program.

It does appear to work on A:M's end. :)

One thing I didn't check was whether I was using the 64bit A:M the first time I tried and the 32bit A:M the second.

I should narrow that variable down as well.

The good news: I'm not getting a crash with my test model. :)

Edit: I just saw your project file and I'll try that.

Yes, that worked as well. Thanks!

Here's a related question as well:

Is there any specific program you are using these .X files with outside of A:M?

Unwrap3d or FragMotion is used in my Unity-Workflow because I need to export them to FBX for that...

Unwrap3d is quite inexpensive, works great with the A:M directX-file (FragMotion does too, but Unwrap3d is a little less expensive).

See my signature for more info on that. The FBX-workflow or the DirectX-workflow (both Video-Tutorials) should give you a very good starting point...

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: Keep in mind that you can switch the language of my website at the upper right corner)

• Admin

Thanks Gerald that's got me going in the right direction.

I was using Fragmotion myself as a conduit to FBX although for static objects I usually just stick with OBJ format.

Short of testing the 64bit A:M to see if it will fail on the same files that succeed with 32bit I'd say this one is resolved.

Update: No issues with 64bit. It must be the complexity of Rabbit's bones as you suggest.

P.S. Your website was a great help back when I first attempted to export to Direct X.

Thanks for that as well!