Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Computer problem... any ideas?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

About a minute or two after my computer has finished booting, the monitors go blank as if the video signal had stopped, as if the computer had turned them off for sleep mode.

However the computer is not sleeping, it is still running and functioning. If I run a music program i can still give it keyboard commands and it responds correctly although the monitor is blank.

If I reboot up in SafeMode (what I am in now) the monitors stay on and don't blank.

This has happened after no obvious change by me. I haven't changed any settings or installed any new programs.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

It has something to do with my graphics driver. If I disable the graphics driver (NVIDIA GeForce GT240) and reboot to normal mode the monitor (only one in basic mode) will stay on.

I've updated it, a "clean install" with default settings, but no improvement.

Mahjong is nearly unplayable without the graphics driver running.

• Admin

A few things to check:

- Monitor/Graphics card settings (60%)

I want to say this is more in the realm of 80% but you've indicated you uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics card driver.

Here I would suggest disconnecting the second monitor until such a time as the sole monitor is working properly.

Once correct operation is verified of the primary monitor then add the second monitor.

Assuming both monitors are not exactly of the same type it may be that the driver is good for one but not for the other (in specific modes of operation)

- Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options (20%)

I want to rate this higher as well as it does seem that your system is in some form of power conservation/hibernation.

Easy enough to validate so when in doubt turn all power saving options off until problem is resolved.

Mahjong is nearly unplayable without the graphics driver running.

This is getting very serious. When Mahjong becomes unplayable something must needs be done.

My immediate approach would be to isolate the problem by reducing variation.

- Remove second monitor

- Isolate problem to the graphics card/driver (if one monitor doesn't work try the other)

- Address one problem at a time while reducing additional variation

*Double check to ensure the current installation of Windows and the graphics card driver for current card/monitors are fully updated

Could be a malfunctional graphiccard... that would explain it quite well...

Do you have an old computer or another one you could use the graphiccard from just to see if that is the problem? Or are you on a computer with a iGPU, APU oder a graphiccard on the mainboard?

You could try to enable that one and see what is going on.

See you
*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

I gave Rodney's idea of unplugging one monitor a try and... it lasted longer! About 10 minutes.

Then I crawled inside and looked at the graphics card and saw that the fan wasn't spinning.

Maybe the fan has failed, and the card is oveheating sooner or later depending on how much work it is doing?

But now I just looked again and it is spinning. Do those spin all the time or only when they need to?

Maybe it is failing sporadically. Or maybe that's not the problem at all?

Fans should always spin. Newer cards allow you to control the speed but they should still spin. My first quadrophonic card died because of a failing fan. You might be able to replace the fan depending on the card. I think most use themal tape but if the card is really old the fan can be really difficult to remove.

If it was working in safe mode then hardware acceleration wasn't being used. With the fan working means that chip isn't forcing the card to thermally shut down. You may be able to find that card if it's older for cheap and maybe not much more than finding a fan for the old one after you get done with shipping.

What model was it?

• Hash Fellow

It was a GeForce GT240.

The fan failed again today while in the middle of something so I made an expedition up to MicroCenter and got a $50 card that should be a significant advance of the old one.

If i can identify the exact fan I need I can probably get something chinese cheap off ebay and keep it as a spare or for a later render farm computer.

But Microcenter didn't seem to be selling GPU fans.

• Hash Fellow

Here's what it looks like and it turns out there is a part number underneath it that does resemble, but not match exactly, some fans on ebay. The screws on mine seem to not be in an equilateral triangle like the one you cite. If I found one for about $2 I might go for it but $9 may be overkill. But thanks for looking, none-the-less!

fan.jpg

• Admin

Shouldn't obsolete or broken pieces of Robert's computers go into a museum or something where future generations can marvel at what type of hardward this spline master used back in the early days of splining with A:M? I'm just sayin'.