Hash, Inc. Forums

Doug's Den

• Hash Fellow

I would say detach some splines, then finish the shape of the nose, including the nostrils, at least to the point where ti meets the surface of the face and then see what needs to be attached together.

• Hash Fellow

The ones I've slashed in blue should be cut to give you room to work

DougsFace.jpg

Here are some views of a nose I did as an example of a fairly minimal topology that still gets the essential contours of the shape...

CaponeNose.JPG

• Hash Fellow

You're going to need a spline that comes down the side of the nose and turns to go into the side of the nostril.

You could almost make the nostril first so you know where you need to get to.

Not sure if this will help you - but if you take a look at what Malo did with his character and how he shaped the eyelids, and eye hole around his characters eyeball, it might give you an idea as to how to shape those cps, spline rings for your character.

Hard to tell without seeing your roto, as to the shape required for your character. Malo was giving his character bags under the eyes (you don't have to be that extreme of course)

Also I am thinking that the eyeball you are using might need to be scaled larger ?

(And yes eyelids, eyehole shape also tend to confuse me at first as well).

dougeyesmalo.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Really depends on what you are trying to achieve. I feel the method that Will does it gives more realism an Malo's way leans towards cartoony.

I have a feeling that in Malo's expert hands, he could use his method to create ANY type of character - realistic or cartooney (same with Will's method or anyone's else's)

For me the beauty of Malo's method is that I don't have to rethink about how to attach parts, nor how many spline rings, etc. It is a matter of building up detail by adding splines to an already existing shape, insuring probably a less dense model, which is best for rigging and animating. One comes to realize that the same spline topography/topology can create any character.

Thank you sir that did the trick.

Just to mention it...

See you

*Fuchur*

Thanks.

Really depends on what you are trying to achieve. I feel the method that Will does it gives more realism an Malo's way leans towards cartoony.

I have a feeling that in Malo's expert hands, he could use his method to create ANY type of character - realistic or cartooney (same with Will's method or anyone's else's)

For me the beauty of Malo's method is that I don't have to rethink about how to attach parts, nor how many spline rings, etc. It is a matter of building up detail by adding splines to an already existing shape, insuring probably a less dense model, which is best for rigging and animating. One comes to realize that the same spline topography can create any character.

I am sure he can. I am going to try my hand at a more challenging project using Malo's method. I almost have it committed to memory.

• Admin

Nice one Douglas. I'm really liking your economy of spline on this last one.

Added: You are running up against something I recently did with a cartoony character in that I like the look of him from a side view but the front view didn't seem to capture the same character. Not that I know in your case but the front view of your last head model from the front view seems a bit the same in that it doesn't quite seem to capture the character represented in the profile/side view. Manybe it's the width of the jaw? The sameness of distance between features? Not sure. I do really like that profile though! :)