Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodger_r

Can't copy text into reply

I can't paste text that's in the copy buffer into a repIy. What am I missing?

I can't paste text that's in the copy buffer into a repIy. What am I missing?

As I copy/paste text into posts frequently I'm at a loss to explain why you can't.

The immediate troubleshooting thought that springs to mind:

1. How sure are you that the text is actually in the copy buffer/clipboard?

2, Have you tried Control C/Control V (as opposed to using a Right Click Copy/Paste or some other method)?

Also, can we assume you are talking about Windows clipboard copy buffer or are we talking about some other copy buffer?

http://youtu.be/PpbxFpAZmSQ

I had trouble pasting text that I had copied from the Youtubes 'share video' text generator... trying again now...

EDIT- yeah, it is weird... it leaves a large empty white container but no video appears... so I need to put an 'x' before the URL so people can see it.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Copy/Pasting text? or Copy/Pasting URLs?

I know they are almost the same thing but the forum definitely treats them differently.

There has been something wrong with the Media parser ever since we moved into the new forum.

In the old forum it ran standard BB code that replaced text but the new forum has a few 'refined' media parsers that from what I can tell have a typo or two in them that is preventing them from being swapped out with the proper html code.

For Jason: From what I can tell the source of the problem can be found in the file: defaults.php

I think Rodger was talking about general pasting... I chimed in with a 'me too' post about pasting Youtube video links- my bad.

That's cool Matt. That issue is a frustrating one for sure that also needs to be fixed.

From what I can tell the problem you speak of is in the class="bbc_url" in the defaults.php code.
I also assume this is related to the problem Rodger is experiencing.

Edit: Hmmm.... making a little progress....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U5xTqVu-pk

regular copy/pasting of URLs appears to be working properly now.

1. How sure are you that the text is actually in the copy buffer/clipboard?

2, Have you tried Control C/Control V (as opposed to using a Right Click Copy/Paste or some other method)?

I can highlight any text within the forum, use either CNTL C or RMB Copy then open Notepad++ and correctly paste that text using either CNTL V or RMB Paste. But if I click within a forum reply field and use either CNTL V or RMB Paste nothing happens.

Now for the really weird part. As you can see in the Quote above I solved the problem. How? By not using IE11.

When you said you had no problems at your end, and I know I used to do it all the time, I figured it was time to consider some really goofy possibilities. My current browser is IE11 but I used to use Firefox. So I went to the forum using Firefox and happily cut text and pasted it. Then I went back into IE11, opened a reply to another forum post but first checked the Post Option "Enable HTML"; something I've never worried about in Firefox. The format was basic but I could do a cut and paste.

So short term solution is use Firefox but there must be a switch in IE11 that is the right answer.

Thanks for the updated info Rodger.
I know Yves posted not long about about IE not seeing/interacting with the forum well either.

This is a real shame as I was once a great fan of IE but for the past many years it's been almost unuseable for me.

I confess that I haven't even tried current releases of IE (except by occasional accident) because Google Chrome has been so hassle free.

I have quite a few browsers installed so that I can use them if needed (esp. for testing) but haven't had much of a need.

You are right. There surely must be a switch that can be toggled to resolve the issue in IE.

Copy/Paste is such a core usage there shouldn't be any issues