Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Create Special 3D Lens for Perspective Tricks

Tom

I have been playing around with the cool Fisheye lens project that some kind person has posted online for Hash users. It has some cool sliders where you can adjust various things like:

1) Wide Angle

2) Lens Distance

3) Bigger

4) Whiskey Glass

5) facet

After going through an art book retrospective on "Perspective" I came across this picture reminding me about the different kinds of specific Perspectives (see attached).

I don't know how the person who created the Fisheye lens did it, but is it possible to create a lens whereby you could use a "pose slider" to shift between 2 and 5 point perspective?

To simplify the question... As the number of vanishing points increases, the curvature increases.

Can a Pose slider increase the number of vanishing points appearing?

Thanks for any ideas!

Tom

perspective.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I believe Matt Campbell (aka John Bigboote) is the creator of the Fisheye Lens, although it may have been modified and updated (or even included in the Techno Crane Camera rig as I recall it may have been added there).

https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36755&hl=fisheye

...and HERE IS A DIRECT LINK to Matt's documentation on the Fish Eye Lens.

Correct me if I'm wrong Tom!

• Hash Fellow

OK, so it really is a "lens".

Looks like the Fish-eye lens would be your "five-point" persepctive.

To get the "four point"... would a lens curved on only 1 axis do it? A lens that is cylindrical rather than spherical?

Yes, Matt Campbell's lens is the one I am playing with. It has cool curvature but didn't seem quite as extreme as the 5 point perspective.

I don't know how he created the lens but the question would be, can a lens be created where you can animate the amount of curvature from 2 point to 5 point? Start a scene as if it is the normal human angle of vision and then morph over time into this cool and weird 5 point perspective POV.

Just thought it would be intriguing from a visual point of view.

Tom

• Hash Fellow

Yes, Matt Campbell's lens is the one I am playing with. It has cool curvature but didn't seem quite as extreme as the 5 point perspective.

I don't know how he created the lens but the question would be, can a lens be created where you can animate the amount of curvature from 2 point to 5 point? Start a scene as if it is the normal human angle of vision and then morph over time into this cool and weird 5 point perspective POV.

Just thought it would be intriguing from a visual point of view.

Tom

That sounds like something a Pose Slider could do start with you curved lens and then add a Pose where it is flattened out OR... Pose that reduces the refraction to zero.

I'll note that 1, 2 and 3 point perspective are more a matter of aiming the camera in a particular way, whether is is perpendicular to certain edges or not.

Thank you Rob!

Yes I was thinking along the same lines of having a lens that is a flat plane and the pose slider wraps it into a sphere.

Can you explain what "setting" or "attribute" or "relationship" it is that makes the sphere distort the lens?

Is it the refraction setting? or...?

If I knew what setting to use I could try the idea you suggested..

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom- GLAD to see you make use of the lens! It was a collaboration between user 'Ben- Bent to the Max' and myself several years ago, and yes... it is a very simple camera appliance that utilizes the refraction feature to generate cool 'fish-eye' effects. Since Ben's name ryhmed with 'lens' we called it 'Bens-Lens'. I was frustrated with A:M's apparent 'lock-in' to the 2 point perspective look- even with a wide camera field of view... I took some classes in perspective drawing and fully understand 2 and 3- even 4 point perspective... but I need to study that 5 point one to see what the heck is going on there. No- I don't think you can change the number of 'vanishing points' with a slider.

It should be noted that since Refraction is 'render-intensive' that this lens will add to your render times. I mostly made this hoping that someday 'fisheye lens' would become a standard feature in A:M... I remember it did not go over too well and Martin dismissed it as fruitless saying that the wider camera field of views basically do the same effect. I have seen the 3D program modo now includes a nifty fisheye lens that works exactly as I had envisioned, even goes so far as to do a 'negative fisheye' effect(imagine THAT!)- at a price. ENJOY! and share what you create.

• Hash Fellow

I'll note that you can take a wide angle image from A:M's square camera and filter it in a paint program to get something similar to a fisheye effect with less render time hit.

It should also be possible to map square rendered footage onto a sphere in A:M and get such a distortion.

Original:

Square.jpg

Photoshop Spherize:

Spherize.jpg