Hash, Inc. Forums

Dreaming about HoloLens

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Microsoft has teased a new device called Hololens. It is not released yet, developers dont' get access to it until about May this year and there is no commitment to even producing it yet.

you can read about it in this NY Times article.

Microsoft HoloLens: A Sensational Vision of the PC’s Future

HOLOLENS-master675.jpg

Briefly, here's what we know about HoloLens:

-It is a headset you wear.

-It overlays CG images onto your vision and synchs them to your head movements to make them appear to be planted in your real world, pehaps in a somewhat ghostly, semi-transparent fashion.

-It is NOT a peripheral for your current PC, it is a self-contained computer and display.

-It runs Windows 10

-Price? None announced. I'm going to guess it will be similar to a Microsoft Surface Pro.

Since it runs Windows 10, I presume A:M would at least run on it.

IF...we could modify A:M to use this new ability to place 3D objects in your environment, 3D objects that you can move around and see from different angles, how might that work? What might have to change about the A:M interface to use this?

Apparently there is no physical mouse for you with Hololens.

The basic scenario I imagine at first is that the traditional A:M interface appears in front of you as a wall that you can approach and move around. Our models might appear where they do now but as a 3D shape intersecting the wall, a 3D shape you can freely move around to see from different vantage points as you work on it.

Perhaps you could freely draw splines in the 3D space with your finger tip?

Other speculative ideas?

• *A:M User*

I've seen this on other websites, it looks cool as heck. I'm surprised this came out of Microsoft.

I could see using this with AM so you end up with stop motion on steroids. Especially if you could combine it with haptics.
I'm curious what sort of power it has, if it is a self-contained PC and not a peripheral. I can't imagine it being more powerful than a Baytrail Atom without burning up a ton of juice or needing a ridiculous battery.

So, more of a toy and not really a workstation device, unless they plan on pricing it around $1500-$2000 then it might have a Broadwell i5/i7. That's not going to fly for anyone but pro users, though, and seeing as how one of the killer apps looks to be Minecraft, I don't see how they can sell it for more than $300-$500 and hope to have adoption with your average middle class family, seeing as how you'd need several devices per family. So perhaps there will be subscription/service which subsidizes a $200-$300 device? That's the only way I see this selling.

• Hash Fellow

Yeah, hard to figure out the price point on it. It will be tough to sell something that looks like a big pair of sunglasses for $2000.

I wonder if there's a way for two people to be looking at the same thing. Like we could both be looking and working on the same model even though our two headsets are really two different computers.

Keep in mind what kinect is... developed by MS it is still one of the most powerful 3d-capturing cameras out there at a reasonable price and it has been changing the game for many people.

It is not that astonishing that MS can do stuff like that... still I do not know if it really is not just a gimmick but we will see...

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

Ha! I like that Robert. :)

One of the likely outcomes of 3D displays might be to see the timeline channels take on depth (as opposed to their 2D representation in Timelines today).

The question at that point then becomes one of also projecting the same channels/keys into the main viewport where they can be turned on/off and be seen from any angle as well.

If we can see the channels/paths taken by CPs etc. in real space there is less reason to interact with them on the abstracted planar timeline.

• 3 months later...
  • Hash Fellow

This article has some video demonstrations of what working in HoloLens will look like:

Windows 10 apps in HoloLens look amazing and completely ridiculous

I like the demonstrations. B)

The presenters sound like they are reading lines in a 6th grade play, however. :facepalm: Is that really the best Microsoft can do?