Hash, Inc. Forums

Anime

Dpendleton77

I know this probably has been discussed here before but I have a question. I want to know how I can achieve a 2d like look and cartoon look to and for animation in Hash(God I hope that made sense)? This is far off but I want to do an animated movie or short down the line and I want the color scheme of something like anime or the Saturday morning cartoon look(Batman the animated series or Titan A.E). Thanks for your help in advance.

• Admin

You may need to post an image of the specific look you want to target as the range of styles within anime is very broad.

Your examples of Batman and Titan A.E. subject a likely composite of flat shaded (cel shaded) color overlayed by a separate pass of the line work.

You can get a lot of this same look via A:M's Toon setting by specifying the color of he line to be in the neighborhood of 60-70 percent of the underlying (flat shaded) color.

I like to use other methods such as compositing mainly to get a variable width to the line but there are other tricks to achieve the same effect such as manipulation of lighting.

Shaders also work quite well depending on the style you are after.

Matthew Krick's site is down but his is one of the classic tutorials on 'anime'.

I don't the specific look is quite what you want but it should demonstrate the approach.

See attached for the collected tutorials:

(They are also on the Extra CD if you have access to that)

MatthewKrickAnimeTutorials.zip

• Admin
I meant sym-botic Titan.

Ah! Quite a difference.

Although I think you mean 'bionic'?

I like the style!

I'm thinking a composite will work best mostly in order to achieve the clear lines.

The composite would also give you total control of the colors (of lines and forms) in post rather than at initial render time.

I wouldn't say you couldn't get away with some ideal renders straight out of A:M but the models would have to be created in such a way as to create the 2D lines and that generally means a 3D shape that is oriented to the camera rather than ideally modeled for all views at all times. (I may have to demo what I'm talking about there).

sym bionic titan.jpg

• Admin

Not that this is anything like the style but I wanted to post a quick test I put together using a basic diffuse gradient shader.

I don't recall ever using one of those before...

I'll have to experiment more.

Disclaimer: The model is just a bunch of pieces quickly put together to (very roughly) capture the look of who I presume to be the main character.

I'd like to create more of this character and add the sword etc. but I think I'd better sleep instead.

toon test (no toon all shader.jpg

• Admin

If they did more as a team it hasn't been well published.

I don't know about that specific team but there is a certain CG virtual idol followed by millions that got her start in the A:M arena:

LINK*

Disclaimer: Minor demonstrations of manipulation of dynamic splinage which may not be appropriate for all audiences.

*I've been looking for more conclusive reference to current use of A:M for some japanese games etc. but they are hard to come by these days.

The public use of A:M has mostly gone underground since the Japanese distributor of A:M moved on to other venues.

I figure by the time I move back to Japan A:M will be seen as sufficiently new and exciting and the fun will start all over again. ;)