Hash, Inc. Forums

water

TheToadStool

Hey! Can someone direct me to a good water tutorial that was made after 2001? For some reason I cannot make any of the steps of this process happen at all. I have been going off of the tutorial on the bonus disc (http://www.babbagepatch.com/water.htm) and I'm not sure if the author is skipping over valuable information, or if I'm just an idiot. The first phase of this process is to make a model with a Turbulence Combiner that can be animated in an action (and thus define water depth) on the Y and Z axis that will cause a wave material. I cannot get these basics to work and I'm starting to get really frustrated. I've also been comparing my work with the .prj file accompanying this tutorial and still nothing. The included project doesn't animate anyway but it does have a good water bit map . I really want to learn this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Adam

• Admin

You should check out the collected topics of the water effects forum:

https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showforum=198

I assume if you are after babbagepatch related infomation you are primarily interested in underwater.

For surface water definitely check out Mark Skokacek's 'Ocean Generator'.

To keep it from getting buried the subject of water probably shouldn't be in the Materials Laboratory but a whole lot of water effects do rely on materials (particle or otherwise).

You may want to check out my Pseudo Flow topic here: https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46653

I have several simulations using props to interact as well. A current project of mine required this type simulation.

You are not an idiot as you mentioned above. Water with the material editor is very tricky and takes time to get familiar. It's not an automatic process.

Remember that water displacement is a slow, trial and error process.

GET FAMILIAR with the x, y, z channels of the "turbulent" material in the "project work space tree" small changes can make big differences/ changes.

The material turbulent method is a very good one and it is flexible enough to manipulate the speeds, directions, and properties of the surface.

It is based on material manipulation on two channels. The most imortant thing to do is to decide what your needs are for your project. Because

every water effect is going to be set up differently based on the scene....project.

Most simulations(not all) are handled on a small scale and then composited into a larger shot. They take large render times.

William