Hash, Inc. Forums
nemyax

Animation:Master Middleman script for Blender

This script is deprecated. It has been incorporated in the MDL exporter addon.

I've knocked together a tiny Blender addon that makes an A:M-ready version of an object in Blender. Here's a quick before-and-after (click for a larger image):

500_831124cd0178e05fc80e133f93ba7773.png

How to install the script:

1. Open Blender's User Preferences window and go to the Addons tab.
  2. Click Install from File and specify the downloaded .zip file or the unpacked .py file.
  3. Enable the Mesh: Animation:Master Middleman addon.
  4. To make your changes persistent, click Save User Settings.

How to use:

Select the object you want, press Space and type "A:M". Click the resulting Make A:M-Ready Mesh menu item. You can assign a hotkey for quick access if necessary.

Note that for best results you should keep your mesh all-quads and avoid more than five edges converging at a vertex. This should give you a spline cage with nice criss-cross spline intersections (unless the .obj importer routinely mangles it).

The script includes a custom Hatch Face command and uses it automatically to improve flow in problematic areas. Faces generated by the Hatch Face command will remain selected after Make A:M-Ready Mesh has completed.

Tip: This pre-selection can help you reduce detail if you want. You can use the Select Boundary Loop command and then dissolve the edges it has selected.

466e5d096108bf27019b0796351eedab.png

dc3cf4998db69c39ec71bdb5e9582464.png

The Hatch Face command is available separately as well. You can use it from the spacebar menu on selected faces.

Get version 0.2.20150119 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B___ge5IO2JdemxBa1YtS2dqOEE/view?usp=sharing

Have fun!

Very interesting. Thanks!

I am jealous of your programming talent.

Rodney

There's hardly any programming involved. It's really a sequence of ready-made operations initiated by a script rather than manually =)

Hmmmmm. Just errors out when I use it on some character models. (OSX 10.10.1, Blender 2.72). (not sure how to output the error messages generated by blender)

It works on the default cube so what are the limitations?

Edit: I think I found the issue. it only works with a unimesh so for models with more than 1 part, select the parts and convert individually....

not sure how to output the error messages generated by blender

Can you start Blender from the command prompt and reproduce the error? The traceback will be in the terminal.

I've added a command that fills faces with a hatched pattern of edges. I'll post an update after I've done more testing.

3dc03b88d8565feac24f0d12bb84cf68.png

Here is the error capture (latest version of your py)

Error.JPG

Nice! That's work, thanks! Good job.

But as you say, helas, the AM's Obj importer break ngones.

Now when you say Hash ready, them model still has to be exported as an OBJ then imported into AM from an OBJ right? I haven't been able to get any of my converted models to import into AM (sticks on 60% - although on my Mac version of AM I have not been able to import any model - period - not sure if that it the OSX version of AM or just machine specific as there appears to be machine specific issues with A"Ms OSX version....)

Now when you say Hash ready, them model still has to be exported as an OBJ then imported into AM from an OBJ right?

This appears to be the normal way. I'm in the middle of writing a .mdl exporter for Blender, so that'll be an option in the future.