Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Tech Watch: 360 degree videos

Rodney

• Admin

I saw that Jason posted a link to video outlining Youtubes plans to allow 360 degree videos to be played on youtube.

360 degree videos that we can scroll around in and zoom in/out are certainly an interesting technology.

My interest of course is more on animation so I'm curios about the potential for creating 360 degree animated short films and movies.

The basic premise is to create have six or more cameras all record the same event and then stitch those video streams into an interactive 360 degree video.

If anyone has more info on how we might set this up in A:M I'd be interested to know.

I assume that rather than use multiple cameras each rendering the same set from multiple POVs a reflective surface might work too.

Here's the link that Jason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q7AiNEjwFE#t=170

I assume this relates to tech like Occulus Rift and other virtual reality experiences.

Here's an article that has an onscreen demo of a 360 theater experience Dreamworks revealed back in November:

http://www.roadtovr.com/dreamworks-reveals-video-360-degree-virtual-reality-super-cinema-format/2/

Examples here:

https://littlstar.com/videos/64660861

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I've been to maybe two 360º movies. One was a 15 minute promotion for Mercedes that was set up and exhibited at the State Fair about 20 years ago. The audience stood (no seats) in the middle of the room encircled by screens. It had a narrative story of sorts and starred the comedian Kevin Nealon. Oddly, this film does not appear on his IMDb profile.

Aha... here's a press release on it...

Mercedes-Benz Brings Its Star To New York City For The First Time Auto Show is Only Area Stop For Mercedes-Benz Circle Scope™ Theater

• Admin
I've been to maybe two 360º movies.

I can't recall what they were called but I think the two main differences between the older clylindrical 360 panarama films and the 360 globe films is 1) The are stitched together so that there is something to view everywhere (top, bottom, etc. etc) 2) They are interactive and the viewer/audience can change where the camera is looking.

I do recognize this latest VR trend as a return to those 360 degree panaramas.

I recall visiting one at either Disney World or Six Flags when I was a kid.

I'm going to guess it was Disney World Florida and similar to your experience everyone stood in the center of the room and the 360 degree scenes where played out on the screens all around the room and to watch something behind us we just had to turn around.

Might this be of interest in terms of the way it was done ?

Pretty nifty setup he had there.

Of more interest to me personally would be how to composite those various views together to form a 360 sphere.

I know of software that stitches together still imagery but the stitching together of video is something I haven't yet experimented with.

The closest I came to something like that was an experiment in Iraq where I stitched together about 200 miles of terrain into one very long image.

That attempt wasn't entirely a success but it worked a lot better than I thought it might.. and... it wasn't 360 degree panaramic.

• Admin
You do need to tell us more about your trip to Iraq, Rodney. :o

It's been a long time since those days. Suffice it to say that I broke my A:M CD on one of those trips and Hash Inc replaced it, proving once and for all that one should never sleep with their A:M CD and that the folks at Hash Inc are really great (they let me keep the broken CD). Thus far I've found the digital subscription considerably harder to break.