Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Creases

I know this is a perenial question, my apologies for that.

I am trying to redo the model of the young boy for the dance project and decided to use retopology as a way of improving my modeling abilities ( not very advanced ), using the previous model as a base to work from. It worked OK for the body but, have encountered some difficulties with the face. I was trying to use the Cooper tutorial in TOAM as a guide and got this,

Face 001.jpg

when rendered it comesout with very noticeable creases

Face 002.jpg

Fine if it was me but not so good for a 11 year old.

I am hoping to smooth out the other bumps with cp repositioning but can't seem to remove the creases. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction ?

simon

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would reduce the splineage around the mouth and eyes, make sure your normals are flipped the right way (you have at least one five-pointer flipped wrong) and do a ton of tweaking. Once you get something relatively smooth, you can use the surface property "Average normals" to put a finishing touch on it.

While it is not a perfect modeling job, here is an example of the type of spline reduction I would do: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33048&p=374471

You can get away with about eight splines in the eye spline rings and eleven to thirteen splines around the mouth.

Hope that helps, Simon.

I would reduce the splineage around the mouth and eyes, make sure your normals are flipped the right way (you have at least one five-pointer flipped wrong) and do a ton of tweaking. Once you get something relatively smooth, you can use the surface property "Average normals" to put a finishing touch on it.

While it is not a perfect modeling job, here is an example of the type of spline reduction I would do: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33048&p=374471

You can get away with about eight splines in the eye spline rings and eleven to thirteen splines around the mouth.

Hope that helps, Simon.

David

Splendid. Thank you very much for your help.

regards

simon

My two pence worth regarding modelling and patch normals:
Open A:M's Options and go to the Rendering Tab.
Set:
Show Back Facing Polys = OFF

If you can't see that option in list of settings, set Quality = Realtime and it should then be available to you.
Click OK to close.
Now any patch with a normal not facing the right way will be invisible and the resulting apparent "hole" in the mesh quickly spotted as you work.
I'm not sure why this setting appears in the "Render" settings? I always thought it would be easier to find in the settings under the "Modelling" tab.

-The black corner on the five-pointer is a sure sign of a normal going the wrong way.

Robert.

Thank you . I always seem to get them skewwhiff.

regards

simon

My two pence worth regarding modelling and patch normals:

Open A:M's Options and go to the Rendering Tab.

Set:

Show Back Facing Polys = OFF

If you can't see that option in list of settings, set Quality = Realtime and it should then be available to you.

Click OK to close.

Now any patch with a normal not facing the right way will be invisible and the resulting apparent "hole" in the mesh quickly spotted as you work.

I'm not sure why this setting appears in the "Render" settings? I always thought it would be easier to find in the settings under the "Modelling" tab.

Mark

Thank you. I'll try that later. I'm trying to rework it ( very slowy ) in the light of David's illustration.

regards

simon