Hash, Inc. Forums

Octane for AM?

ludo_si

Octane Renderer is extraordinary.

The company that sells it creates plugins for many software like Blender, Carrara etc ... And why not Animation Master.

I sent an email to see if they have plans for plugins AM. It would be good that many send an email if interested in this renderer.

Octane is a GPU engine Unbiased. User-friendly

gpu allows use to make an image from 10 to 50 times faster.

I use octane and it's really impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love this! at present it is faster for me to export the MDD file and obj to another renderer and render it out rather than do a straight render from AM in SSS renders. Although this latest update fix the hot spot for the SSS renders. I have seen the Octane results from Poser3d and its very impressive as well as faster. I think quality is more important than speed. Pretty much my main reason to export the files and renderer it in Messiah3D.

I am interested in porting A:M animations to external GPU renderers... have been talking about this in the OT thread called Element3D V2 lately... been following Element V2 which is expected out any day now, and Lumion-an architectural GPU renderer.

I have not considered Octane, just looking at it now with fresh eyes. From what I can see- they offer a standalone renderer which claims will 'work if you can use one of the supported file formats' and one of which is obj... which we know exports quite nicely from A:M, so perhaps obj sequences would too. You would need to assign materials in Octane of course... I'm working with A:M obj's in C4D, modo, Element and would like a hero to emerge.

I'll work on something, but meanwhile I sign up with Picarto.com live stream where you can actually watch me do the work under the name Cyberdreamcreation and if you subscribe, an email will be sent every time I go online and activate my livestream. I would be happy to go over the whole shebang with you personally!

BTW are you related to Bruce Campbell? He is also from Detroit, Michigan and I am also from Michigan.

Messiah announce that they were going to sell to another company and offer a discount upgrade for whatever the next release from the new company. Nobody knows anything or saying anything of what that will be.

The MDD export also works well inside Lightwave. I still use AM because of the bone spring feature that seems to animate flesh bounce really well. Poser3D Bullet physic is not quite what I wanted, and touchy to work with. Messiah claims to be able to, but I still dont know the program well enough, but found my little method of just getting it to render out to be fruitful. I did have to purchase a additional plugin called FastMDD $40

I think it more likely that Luxrender will be more open to help A:M artists use their render engine. IN fact, I think that has already happened to some degree. XTaz and a few others were able to incorporate that at some point if I read the posts correctly.

WITH THAT SAID........any renderer that imports mdd or other mesh/ frame sequences is basically an external renderer. You only need the ability to create material spaces on your model to replace yours with the render's materials.

AND of course this makes A:M's export capabilities of vital importance. Hopefully as the industry moves closer and closer to these renderers, A:M will develope improved ways to export for that purpose. IT already has a great .X export which is very good from what I've seen and heard.

I'll work on something, but meanwhile I sign up with Picarto.com live stream where you can actually watch me do the work under the name Cyberdreamcreation and if you subscribe, an email will be sent every time I go online and activate my livestream. I would be happy to go over the whole shebang with you personally!

BTW are you related to Bruce Campbell? He is also from Detroit, Michigan and I am also from Michigan.

Messiah announce that they were going to sell to another company and offer a discount upgrade for whatever the next release from the new company. Nobody knows anything or saying anything of what that will be.

The MDD export also works well inside Lightwave. I still use AM because of the bone spring feature that seems to animate flesh bounce really well. Poser3D Bullet physic is not quite what I wanted, and touchy to work with. Messiah claims to be able to, but I still dont know the program well enough, but found my little method of just getting it to render out to be fruitful. I did have to purchase a additional plugin called FastMDD $40

I could not Picarto.com, but I found picarto.tv. I could not find "cyberdreamcreation". I am interested to learn more about using Messiah as a renderer.

• 11 months later...

Well... I'm a little off but in my spare time I'm still playing with A:M... recently I'm experiencing some great improvement in A:M + Octane. The bridge between them is the Cinema 4D.

I can import models with all textures/colors + MDD to animate.
The render is great.
Tomorrow I'll post some results.
A:M continues the best animation program, simple, intuitive, fast....

Hi Robert...

Basic and directly, the C4d have an internal Octane Plugin... then I just import OBJ+MDD, convert material to octane materials and render inside C4d.

The stand alone Octane doesn't import MDD, but Alembic files (.abc), a kind of 'our' choreography, all elements of the scene ( lights, models, texture, camera ... ) in a single file.

if there is a request, is the A:M exports choreography to alembic... then user just import it directly inside octane renderer without the need for a plugin.

https://code.google.com/p/alembic/

... convert material to octane materials ..

Tell me more about that. You pretty much have to create new materials from scratch, right?

no.. there is an option to convert material... despite the converter to be pretty efficient, some little adjusts are needed sometimes.

The Alembic file format was developed by Sony and ILM as a pipeline tool to carry their models and data from one stage to the next.

It was open source at one time. Not sure if that is so now.

It is very powerful exporter and has been adopted by many rendering apps in order to allow numerous 3D apps to export into them.

Whereas EXR is a texture format that separated channels..........Alembic is an advanced model transfer with separated elements.

Octane allows for its own PBT(Physically based textures)......So in applying those....it is optimal to use a format such as alembic.

I think Alembic also has the ability to tranfer motion like mdd....... XTAZ....am I wrong about that??

I think Alembic also has the ability to tranfer motion like mdd....... XTAZ....am I wrong about that??

You're god damn right :)

In simple words Alembic is OBJ+MDD in a single file...