Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Four waters

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Mostly I'm just coloring these tests so i can see where all the droplets go easier. I'm still investigating basic settings for their effect on particle behavior.

What I'm finding so far...

The "Droplet Physics" has two parts, Pressure Force and Surface Tension Force.

The droplets are imagined as spherical particles that can move independently of each other but Pressure Force and Surface Tension Force influence their interaction with each other.

Pressure Force controls how much their spherical boundaries are allowed to overlap. If Pressure force is set to zero it is possible to endlessly pour particles on top of other particles and the volume of the liquid will never increase, the particles can overlap completely.

When Pressure force is greater than zero the particles will begin to nudge each other aside and begin to stake out their own personal space with less overlap.

If particles are born closer than their Pressure Force setting allows or if they collide and end up too close together they seem to spray apart from each other. Higher values make for lumpier, more churning liquids.

Surface Tension Force is the tendency of particles to attract to neighboring particles and form a larger droplet

• Hash Fellow

I had time estimates on processes I've been writing for work....kind of got smacked down when the powers that be heard them. "Get them down to 1 hour!" was what I heard.

I recall reading that in the early years Pixar had a goal of no more than 5 minutes render time per frame. They've blown way past that on more recent projects but there was a time when that was their practical limit to get the movie done on time.

What's your solution to trimming the seconds?

Basically you try to swap in faster things that will do the job of elaborate things.

For example, it's unlikely I will use particle fluids for the lagoon that submarine is in, I'll probably use my "cloth" water which is pretty fast to work with and will look appropriate.

Somewhere in my tuts is a thread where I went through a shot that someone said was taking too long ans showed various alternate techniques to make it spit out faster.

Excellent answer Robert! Too many times we try to use the spiffiest solution just because we can, failing to realize that all that really matters is how it looks in on screen in the final cut.

Read an article once that when the producers at Pixar (can't remember which movie) wanted a water splash effect, he decided to just go out to a pool, film it, then place that into the clip.

• Hash Fellow

Read an article once that when the producers at Pixar (can't remember which movie) wanted a water splash effect, he decided to just go out to a pool, film it, then place that into the clip.

Along the same line, in the original "Madagascar" many of the background cityscape buildings are not CG, they are physical models painted and photographed to look like CG and used as "rotoscope" behind the character animation. They did this because they didn't have the computer power to render all that.

I'm surprised by that but that's what they said in the commentary to "Madagascar II"