Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

About the Cinematic Submarine Shot

• Hash Fellow

William Detwiler (aka detbear) and I will be collaborating on a brief shot in this forum

William and I have both been long time A:M users but we didn't really "meet" until we were both students in the very first class to enter AnimationMentor and noticed that we were both using Animation:Master for our assignments.

William is a professional animator and since AnimationMentor I have contributed bits of rigging, animation and other elements to projects of his. Now William has asked me to consult on a new endeavor, a trailer for an adventure movie he hopes to use for a Kickstarter project and I am eager to see what we can do with it.

In particular we are narrowly focusing on one scene here.

William has prepared a rough draft to show the essential concept...

Detwiler_Project_Waterfall_WIP_C.mov

That is not the whole trailer, that is one shot.

Out goal is to make it look like a truly cinematic, movie-quality scene. The water effects are the obvious challenge, but we also need to design appropriate lighting and probably rethink the staging a bit.

Basically, everything needs to look better and we want to figure out how to do that and we want to do it with A:M!

That's what we'll be doing in this Special Topics forum and if any of you have comments or suggestions you may certainly toss those in!

• ____ 1

I'm very excited about this. Just like my "Boomer" show, this has been a few years in the making. So I've got bunches to show eventually and

a hope that it will turn out better than I can expect.

This is part of a larger project I've been working on since around 2011. I'm very excited about what the results will end up looking like.

I use A:M in mostly all of my productions for just reasons. It is both artist friendly and fast all around. I started with A:M in 1999 after seeing an example

of it being used in the book...... The Animation Book by Kit Laybourne. Prior to that, I had been dabbling around with Ray Dream and a few other

2D programs further back in the 80's on the Amiga computer.(Remember those giants) My how "state of the art" has changed.

William

For the waterfall, you might have an easier time achieving what you want with Sprites. I know that they were used for the extended edition of the Phantom Menace ( they show how it was setup in the behind the scenes), and also in the Dam bursting scene in LOTR: The Two Towers...

Another option would be a video layer(s) of a real waterfall, combined with particles.

• Hash Fellow

No particle will be left unturned in our search for an appropriate result!

We're going for something that is less "white-water" than a dam burst but not as static as a glass curtain. Somewhere between those two extremes. :unsure:

At this point, we are after whatever get's the look we're going for.

The Massive waterfalls are more ominously cloudy and smoke-like. And the big have water falling

from "towering" heights. We are after a fall with less pressure and less gigantic cloudiness.

In a way, a bit more artificial. Kind of like a theme park ride. Hard to explain....but when we get it, we'll know it.

Or....I hope we will :)