Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markw

Open Studio?

What's the 'A:M Forum Open Studio'?
I see it listed in a members Profile page asking if we want to be part of it or not.

It's for that inevitable day when a full fledged community project goes into preproduction/production.

We are in between major projects now with folks not yet fully recovered from TWO/SO and newer users not yet fully up to speed to take on such a production.

Like many things here in the forum it exists because someone expressed interest in it.

At this exact moment the forum itself is that virtual (open) studio.

I think the tools are there to facilitate a distributed studio. What is lacking is the business and distribution plan to finance it. I want to be able to hire animators--but I need to figure out how to make money with the end product.

Otherwise, we can always collaborate on a project where the creators all share joint copyright. Like being in a garage band :)

I think the tools are there to facilitate a distributed studio. What is lacking is the business and distribution plan to finance it. I want to be able to hire animators--but I need to figure out how to make money with the end product. Otherwise, we can always collaborate on a project where the creators all share joint copyright. Like being in a garage band :)

There are several elements to this that are fluid and it'll just take time for everything to naturally flow into place.

In the rough the Open Studio is merely an extension of that same storied group that created TWO and SO, although I perceive it's not quite that exact same thing.

The primary two sides of the equation relate to:

1) the studio itself, which is continually formed and reformed from a portion of the A:M community

2) the properties the studio involves itself in.

One of the reasons Martin targeted the land of Oz was that it was in the public domain.

That took care of a legal concerns right off the bat.

At the risk of being completely wrong I'll suggest the Open Studio is an outlier (via the forum) of the A:M Studio (an actual business entity).

The only A:M Studio that has been fully funded to my knowledge is that same one that created TWO and SO which was produced by the A:M community supported by Hash Inc.

The primary support being the forum and... when it came to actual production... server space.

we can always collaborate on a project where the creators all share joint copyright. Like being in a garage band

The closest we have right now to that is the Special Topics which I view as prime real estate.
Those that occupy a special topic have 'official status' in the community's virtual space.
This isn't to say there aren't other officially sanctioned spaces... the recurring community projects are certainly worthy of official branding.
It seems to me the 'open call' to pitch ideas for inclusion within the special topics is in the Work In Progress forums.
To my way of thinking every A:M user that has ever existed should have a WIP page.

What is lacking is the business and distribution plan to finance it.

I'd like to comment on these but perhaps it'll be better to wait.

There is business both inside and outside the A:M community and I'm mostly interested in the limited scope of internal affairs.

Within the forum we (collectively) control the business model, distribution plan and financing of all community projects that get made.

The projects are generally just on a very small scale. :)