Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

It Can't Be Done Can't Be Done?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

I had said I was going to do "cloth" as the topic of my next "It Can't Be Done" series but that is looking to be a major endeavor I don't have time for right now.

I hereby re-open the table for nominations. If you have a smaller-scale miracle that you'd like to see done in A:M, suggest it below!

If you suggested something last time around and are still interested in that topic, re-nominate it!

I will pick one based on based on my own judgement of general interest and feasibility and the winner will, of course, receive their choice of memoir by Martin D. Hash!

If, by chance, you missed the previous "It Can't Be Done"... check it out!

Hey Toreb,

I seem to recall this being done as a Mat Cap shader. Although I don't know where that thread went to.

It could potentially get those results. I don't think it would create the shadows with crosshatching, etc.

But it would produce the objects.

Cheers,

William

• ____ 1

Rain drops falling into a puddle, causing ripples.

Paul.

I did something along those lines a few years back. The effect was actually quite easy to achieve using animated maps to control the bump/ displacement, reflection and transparency for the ripples.

Later project used cookie cutter decals to get rain drops.

A combination of the two might get the effect you want ?

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

Paul.

I did something along those lines a few years back. The effect was actually quite easy to achieve using animated maps to control the bump/ displacement, reflection and transparency for the ripples.

regards

simon

Perhaps you could start a thread and explain how you did it?

Paul.

regards

simon

Perhaps you could start a thread and explain how you did it?

Robert

I'm a bit bashful about explanations in such company, but will try to have a quick bash later in the week if possible.

regards

simon

This is a quick version of the old file. No real material settings but uses an animated jpg sequence for the ripple effect.

With no claims as to it being high quality, was this the sort of effect you were after Paul?

regards

simon

attachicon.gifRipple .mov

Not to usurp Robert's thread, but yeah. I have a scene in the animation being story boarded right now of Papa Bear fishing. What I need is a lure hitting the water and the ripples (and splash) generated from the lure.

• Admin

Here's a proof of concept/setup of a bobber creating ripples in water.

I didn't attempt to animate any angle on the impact so the force is moving straight down.

I went with the straightforward method of animating the mesh but displacement might be a more effective way to control everything.

The initial ripple could use more exaggeration...

waterripple.mov

• Hash Fellow

. What I need is a lure hitting the water and the ripples (and splash) generated from the lure.

I'll note that this is a bit more specific effect and rather different than rain-drops on a pond.

To do this right we would need to know what the shot is and be certain it's not going to be changed.

The special effects you see in movies are designed for the the shot that is planned. Everything about he camera location and angle and lighting are known before had so hey can build the effect to work in that circumstance.

. What I need is a lure hitting the water and the ripples (and splash) generated from the lure.

I'll note that this is a bit more specific effect and rather different than rain-drops on a pond.

To do this right we would need to know what the shot is and be certain it's not going to be changed.

The special effects you see in movies are designed for the the shot that is planned. Everything about he camera location and angle and lighting are known before had so hey can build the effect to work in that circumstance.

Haven't gotten that far in storyboards yet. But the basic scene is bright sunlight, wooded stream...

but enough of this ... we need to get back to your original post!