Hash, Inc. Forums

Yet another reason to stop rendering

Rodney

• Admin

Rendering to file that is...

Increasingly real time rendering is going mainstream and in consumer markets long render times won't be acceptable.

Just in time for SIGGRAPH 2014, Physical Based Rendering is being demo'd without plugins via HTML5.

https://labs.sketchfab.com/siggraph2014/viewer.html?model=devastator

It's a far cry from fully rendered real time animation but it's getting there.

• Hash Fellow

I tried it.

-Damn, that took a long time to load!

-it crashed when I changed one of the parameters.

-Interesting, but I'd need to see something more familiar than a sci-fi creature (?) to judge the rendering.

I tried it.

-Damn, that took a long time to load!

Still hasn't loaded. I gave up first time. How long is it supposed to take? Trying again

That's not what I would label "real-time" rendering. (still waiting for it)

EDIT - gave up 2nd time - going on 12 minutes - is it my connection?

perhaps someone could post screen capture?

Edited by NancyGormezano

I really don't see the need for "real-time" rendering except for motion capture possibly. All the shows you watch on TV are pre-recorded except for the super exciting "going live" news, but I like to think of that as an 'all the time' thing, like life itself is the movie (with lots of space to edit out), but on another planet.

I think this is on topic, however: I was putting together a 12x12 sprite sheet to put in my (what do you call it, animation player?) app, when I thought to myself..."every sheet is 12 seconds of video... if I could build a sprite sheet in 12 seconds... we could broadcast live..." "Oh, at 12 frames per second, otherwise 6 seconds or something like that for 24 frames per second... and what about 30 frames per second?, well that would make a good math lesson for kids or people just getting started, but then again..." Stop!

All the end product showing the display needs to compute is: "Hey, we got 12 seconds for that JPEG file to come in, any word yet?" "Okay, well once it comes in we'll swap it with the old one" "Okay"

An alternative method (so many synonyms when you don't need them) to streaming... Bit by bit by bit... and buffering... not that a program that beats it head against a line 60 times a second wouldn't be enticing to Flatland readers.

• Admin

That is rather the point here. The demo is not real time rendering so much as interactive physical based lighting. Lighting that can be (easily?) changed.

But if the application doesn't load I guess it wont qualify much as interactive either. ;)

An HTML5 webpage shut down your system? Are you serious?

I can't even cut and paste here, but the time-tested Mom-approved concept is:

Do they trust the website?

Now this could bring up another issue, but all of a sudden, I need to know what HTML5 is? For reel?

That is rather the point here. The demo is not real time rendering so much as interactive physical based lighting. Lighting that can be (easily?) changed.

But if the application doesn't load I guess it wont qualify much as interactive either. ;)

An HTML5 webpage shut down your system? Are you serious?

Afraid so Rodney!

First Firefox stopped responding.

Then I tried to Force Quit it and that wouldn't work.

A browser dialog then dropped down saying a script had failed to complete did I want to wait for it to complete or Cancel it. Well I'd been waiting ages already so I hit 'Cancel' but nothing seemed to happen.

I then I tried leaving Firefox and going to Finder but Finder wasn't responding now either. Nothing was! All I could do was move the cursor around.

That's when I decided on a forced shutdown.

When I'm feeling brave I might try the page again later...

Update:

So looks like it's that second link you posted Rodney that's the culprit!

The first one works and once loaded dose what its supposed to. But that second one is the killer! Just tried it again and sure enough I had to force shutdown once more.

Edited by markw

Starting to see more and more real time renderer's but on an animation sense are the attributed baked into the models? Can you animate the lighting, reflection and texture attributes over time?

This something AM is leaning towards say version 30 or something?

• Admin
Can you animate the lighting

The demos allow you to move the lights around in real time and select from a variety of HDR images to IBL the model.... not that I would really any of that animation.

The promise of Physical Base Rendering (PBR) is to remove guesswork and needless repetition out of the process of lighting setup.

on an animation sense are the attributed baked into the models?

I don't know enough about the demo to say at this point.

I'd guess as documentation flows from SIGGRAPH more will be known.

This something AM is leaning towards say version 30 or something?

Hard to predict the future is.

It could happen tomorrow (rather unlikely) but a conservative guess (from me) would be well before v25.