Hash, Inc. Forums
nemyax

MDL format details needed for exporter development

I'm impressed with your approach.

I hope you'll continue to experiment and collaborate with like-minded folks!

I must admit that I was impressed before and back then I was operating under the impression that the results consisted of (totally) unconnected 4 point patches.

Your results are better than I had imagined as they aren't separate but connected... just not continuous. Very interesting.

You did it! =)

it is possible to bring a polygon mesh as a polygon mesh into AM, with textures and if you want bones and weights

What format do you have in mind that has geometry and bones?

You did it! =)

it is possible to bring a polygon mesh as a polygon mesh into AM, with textures and if you want bones and weights

What format do you have in mind that has geometry and bones?

Collada file format, I am already loading geometry in my program from collada.

But you have already created an exported from blender, meaning if you modify it and make it work as I did, it will be amazing.

And I am actually not creating the patches, My program generates the splines and connects them very efficiently, it also generates a data file. Then I load the model in Am, let it generate the patches, than reload it in my program and attach all the other extra info using the data file that it generated.

Actually I am writing the code in a way so I can make it public and you could develop you own file converter, by referencing my code and just passing lists of vertices, etc.

if you modify it

That's unlikely. My subscription expires in about a month, and I won't be renewing it.

I won't be renewing it.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Do we need to pass the hat around and collect $79.

We need folks like you with a good grasp of the technology.

Rodney

Well, I'd subscribe again if FBX/Collada export materialised and Hash Inc. fixed the OpenGL issues that keep me on an old version.

I don't see A:M as a complete solution for myself. I like the choreography workflow very much, but that's about it. And due to lack of export I can't extract the work I do in choreography. As it stands, I'm better off using the free Softimage Mod Tool or "the B word".

It's a sad thing that users like rasikrodri and Malo have to do Hash Inc.'s work and pay for the privilege =(

We could always wish for better things but the fact is that Hash Inc isn't a big corporation. Never has been.

Folks expect Hash Inc to code for the entire industry but where are the big guys coding bridges to Hash Inc?

And user support... hit and miss... although a passionate core group we (collectively) can't even maintain our subscriptions/upgrade path to keep support flowing.

I don't want to sound ungrateful to Hash Inc or my fellow users. Folks have always seen the potential but have also always had an unrealistic expectation that should appear fully formed... before we will even entertain supporting A:M. I'm thankful for what the folks at Hash Inc have been able to accomplish with limited resources. I'm even more thankful for a community that understands that $79 is a reasonable price to pay annually to support the program we want to use. (It's $79 more than I'd like to pay but more than fair and A:M is worth every penny). I'm a user and continuing subscriber of the software because despite it's shortcomings it's still the best thing going. And it goes without saying that A:M will continue to advance/improve with continued support.

We are a lot alike... I don't purchase/subscribe to a lot of software that I might otherwise consider because they stubbornly and consistently refuse to port to the progam I use (that'd be A:M in case there's any confusion).

I'd subscribe again if FBX/Collada export materialised and Hash Inc. fixed the OpenGL issues that keep me on an old version.

FBX/Colladoa is a tall order given some of the code that needs to be written. I'm confident it'll happen although sadly not as confident you'll be here when it happens. The same goes for the OpenGL issues... that's surely going to be easier to solve with good feedback provided to Steffen... although I haven't seen those in A:M Reports so I can only guess what those are.

But hope springs eternal. (and we do have at least one more month on your subscription so make every moment count)

Hang in there!

the OpenGL issues... that's surely going to be easier to solve with good feedback provided to Steffen... although I haven't seen those in A:M Reports

I didn't post that one, so it's probably my bad. But robcat2075 said he'd pass it on to Steffen.

where are the big guys coding bridges to Hash Inc?

But they are. That's what interchange formats are for. You don't see them supporting each other's native formats either, but the middleman stuff is supported both ways.

To be sincere I dislike other 3D modeling packages. I had to use blender before and Cycles rendering engine is amazing, which is actually open source and in is being separated process from blender, meaning it ould be integrated anywhere. It also has to many things. It is just plainly a Moster that has to be used and digested as a Monster.

I the other hand for me AM feels like a Kitten that has a Monster inside. But you don't see the Monster, you are always working with the kitten part o the Monster. What I mean is, AM is so well organize that does not feel overwhelming at all, in comparison to practically all the other 3d packages out there.

It seems that AM is stable and has all the necessary features to work with itself, meaning that It would be nice if all development efforts were directed towards closing the gap in working harmoniously with other programs.

It would be nice if all development efforts were directed towards closing the gap in working harmoniously with other programs.

It would, and that's why efforts like Malo's (and others) are so appreciated by those of us further removed from coding.

Heck, other programs don't even work harmoniously with each other without considerable wrangling and many a company has gone out of business or were absorbed because they lacked important pieces of the bigger puzzle.

It seems that AM is stable and has all the necessary features to work with itself,

It may seem like that but every time an operating system is updated to take advantage of the latest and greatest in technology... the cycle of maintenance renews.

Back in the day I was in 'Training and Maintenance' Training was (generally) fun. Maintenance was (always) hard work... with little margin for error... seemingly impossible.

It makes me appreciate the hard work that has gone into A:M all the more.

Rasikrodri Congratulations!
Wait to see more. :)
I see an interesting manner in this manner to import polygonal models: to use AM as an animation tool for polygonal models. Import / animate / export with Obj+MDD to be rendered in external renderer.