Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mechadelphia

Member avatars should show a "Moderator" title if they are one.

I was chatting with Shelton and Mouseman last week and towards the end of our meeting I began to rant about some of the things that surround A:M.

One of the things that I brought up was this:

I think that all moderators here at the A:M forum should have a "Moderator" title or tag included with their avatar. This should be the case regardless of whether the moderator is a moderator to a specific forum or a moderator that is global to these forums.

This is something that is a standard at every other forum that I visit and it is good to know that the forum actually has moderators and that is actually being actively moderated.

It also openly shows to visitors reading the posts here that there is some sort of leadership at these forums and that is also good to know.

One of the things that got me thinking about this was something that I remember awhile ago in another post on the forums (I don't recall which one). In it, a forum member wrote about being able to view something (regarding a visitor I think) that he could not have had access to unless he had some sort of admin permissions.

That made me wonder how many other forum members have that kind of permission here.

Since then I have learned that there is a link on the front page that lists the A:M forum moderators.

Are there reasons for not having moderator tags with your avatars though?

Is this something that you moderators here are willing to do?

Thank you for your consideration on this.

It's certainly an option to consider and I can think of several reasons it might be worth looking into.

(The primary one being that you asked for it).

I can also think of several reasons why moderation tags might be overkill however.

But the label 'moderator' is often very deceptive.

Each topic has (or at least had) a spot that identifies who the moderator for that topic is.

The easiest way to determine who the 'true' moderator of any topic is would be to identify whose topic it is.

Most forums need to display who their moderators are prominently because of the signal to noise ratio.

To my knowledge, we don't have to deal with that here.

Trivial factoid: The most successful test I think I ever ran in the forum was one where everyone that had access to that specific forum was a moderator.. i.e. everyone within said forum was trusted as an equal. This obviously wouldn't work in every forum area but it worked quite well there.

You were ranting about A:M? Sounds like the old days. :o There was actually a "Rants and Raves" forum here for a while but that did not work out well.

I had moderator powers for a long time before I noticed i had them. I almost never use them. Occasionally I'll re-title a thread to make it more clear what it is about.

Rodney, on 02 Aug 2014 - 7:55 PM, said:

It's certainly an option to consider and I can think of several reasons it might be worth looking into.(The primary one being that you asked for it).

Thank you for considering it.

robcat2075, on 02 Aug 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

You were ranting about A:M? Sounds like the old days. :o

Comments like that also sound like the old days.

No, I was not ranting about A:M. But if I had been then so what? I wrote that I was ranting about the things that surround A:M.

Ranting does not always have to be negative. Constructive criticism is what I also incorporated into my rant that day (when applicable).

Part of my rant that day was that the "old days" on the forum that you just referred to were so much more vibrant than they are today. There were great and not so great things about those days but they were still very exciting times to me. But that part of the discussion is not what I intend to get into in this thread.

Thank you again for considering it.

That's OK, not a problem. The only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about. :)

I think there's a lesser vibrancy all across the 3D world and not just at A:M. The most mentioned indicator is that Siggraph attendance has been on the decline since the mid 1990's. I'm surprised to see that the number of vendor peaked in the 80's!

(for reference, "San Antonio" was in 2002)

Siggraph-attendance-and-exhibition-trend

CG is out of the experimental discovery stage and its powers are so well known that the "magic" is not there as much. It's not enough for Pixar to make a CG feature anymore, now we expect it to be a great movie... and sometimes it isn't.

There surely must be a better name than moderator but... if you look under Robert's avatar there is an example of what success might look like.

In times of random ranting we could have the moderator's avatar pulse with a fading in/out glowing bright red... then when Mack goes off on a another rant all anyone has to do is type 'code red' into their keyboard repeatedly until the forum goes into full lock down. Then after massing the troops... those who are not moderators get tagged with '*not a moderator* and we initiate triangulation of their exact locations...

Congratulations Robert, you are the first official moderator of the all new and improved A:M Forums. :)

Todo: Give other moderators their title status.

Congratulations Robert, you are the first official moderator of the all new and improved A:M Forums. :)

My father thanks you, my cat thanks you and I thank you!

Thanks guys for acting on that so quickly.

The Siggraph trend is interesting too. I think that years ago Martin Hash said something like that would happen.

Just so you know, since you have made the change, our real names (from our public profiles) are no longer showing up under our avatars. This seems to be affecting everyone at the forum.

Just so you know, since you have made the change, our real names (from our public profiles) are no longer showing up under our avatars. This seems to be affecting everyone at the forum.

Anyone that knows me knows that I prefer folks to use their 'real' names* in the forum. Currently there are two ways to do this 1) Enter your name in the name field of your profile 2) Use your name (or part of your name as you onscreen login.

Having said this I do recognize that bad people exist in this world and have (at least for the time being) removed the name from underneath the avatar to serve as a general means to protect folks who prefer not to hav their names prominently displayed esp. to those not logged in to the forum. If the forum member has supplied a name it can easily be seen via their profile page. Those who have amassed a sizable amount of posts are granted the ability to change some aspects of their login. Additional membership privileges will also be considered.

*Because we do have folks that legitimately cannot or should not use their actual real names frequent the forum no member is required to reveal their name. In cases where this happens that individual very likely already has a pseudonym that serves in that capacity. In other words that is their 'real' online name.

Some considerations:

- Individuals should never abuse their privileges.

- All information needed to effectively communicate in the forum should be readily available. (if it isn't we need to get it there)

- It is assumed the login name is the preferred salutation (this may soon be changeable by the forum member but in the interim that login can be changed via request. Note that there is a difference between actual login name and the login name displayed. Making these different may cause confusion upon login which is why most forums don't allow you to change that)

- Change is inevitable. Everyoneph makes miistakes. Let's get past all that and continue to make the A:M Community better.

I'm not sure that you understand what I mean.

Yesterday, before you made the change, our names that we had in our public profile were visible with our avatars. Now our names don't show even though we have entered them in our public profile.

edit:

I just reread your last post. Are you saying that you removed our names from being visible with our avatars on purpose?

The profile section says that information will be displayed publicly so if people don't want their names displayed then they don't have to enter them. Those that do enter there names can still have their names publicly visible.

Edited by Mechadelphia

If you are trying to make me regret adding that name field it is working.

I talked myself into that rather than to require everyone to use their real name as their public username.

I like real names.

Fixed.

But.. if you ask me to put the gender back under the avatar... :facepalm:

Some odd things went under the avatar after making the switch to the new forum.

The name field seems to display now. You can put your real name or a nom de spline in it and shows up.