Hash, Inc. Forums

Digital woodcutting

Experimenting with a woodcut look. This test is modeled in Zbrush, then smoothed with their clay/sharp edges algorithm, and remeshed to app. 30k polys and exported.

Then imported into A:M (took some time!!)

When inside A:M I peaked all splines, thus essentially bypassing A:Ms spline system (I bow my head in shame). When additionally setting the subdivs to the lowest setting, it is possible to get a managable model in A:M.

But of course, this is for hard body animation only (which doesn’t bother me). Deforming this model would propably yield some undesirable results.

An example of a real world wood carved puppet

Tore.

Thats one extremely dense mesh !

I like the look of the model although, to my eyes at least, the grey rendered version looks more like the type of shapes/surface you get with loosely modeled plasticene ?

I'm hoping to make some actual stop frame models again in the next few weeks but it may take some time.

regards

simon

• Admin

Very nice Robert!

Edit: Looking closer it may need a displacement material that echos the main material to break up the smooth contour at the edges.

I'm wondering if you could simply duplicate the material but then adjust the displacement setting... layering in the materials.

• Hash Fellow

Very nice Robert!

Edit: Looking closer it may need a displacement material that echos the main material to break up the smooth contour at the edges.

I'm wondering if you could simply duplicate the material but then adjust the displacement setting... layering in the materials.

Yes, a displacement material could work also. Last time I checked, displacement materials needed an unusual arrangement of surface normals and displacement percentage to shade right, but once you get that right they can work too.

Thanks Robert! Very nice texture. Will play around with it later. These days we are having a new kitchen built, so things are a bit chaotic.

For my way of working though, the dense texture alternativ has some important benefits to it, and hardly any drawbacks. Mainly that when using ordinary polygon structure (peaked splines), models become exchangable with software outside A:M. Thus all problems with UV/texturing incompabilities between A:M and say 3DCoat disappears.