Hash, Inc. Forums

Model lights not rendering

Dalemation

I've run into a slight problem. I've added several Klieg lights in a model (as opposed to in the Choreography). However, I'm having trouble rendering them. Sometimes one will render, sometimes three will render and sometimes a different one will render. I can't get them all to render at the same time! Does anyone have any advice on what might be going wrong?

Thanks,

Dale

• Admin

Hey Dale!

There was something that restricted the number of lights that were active in real time a few versions ago... I can't find the reference for that at the moment.

I don't think that is the problem but... that's what immediately came to mind.

So, I guess there are several question that would narrow down the variables a little:

What version of A:M?

I know you said the lights are in the model but... are you trying to render from the Model window? Action window? Chor?

Since it's a Klieg/spotlight is it possible they are pointed in another direction?

Have you entered Bones mode at any time and repositioned the lights?

That last one is going to be my guess but it's a wild shot!

Edit: I just ran a test in v18 and the three lights I created in a model weren't showing up in the chor until I raised them up a little (y-axis) and pointed them downward (x-axis). I tend to delete the default lights as well any time I create custom lights and I didn't specifically check for that. Long ago there use to be an issue with more than three lights rendering in realtime (in a Chor). Note that for this test I dropped the Model into a Chor. If you are rendering it somewhere else that'd be good to know.

• Admin

There's another good reason for deleting the default lights that are in a Chor....

When I first started tweaking I didn't realize it but I was changing the settings of the default lights in the Chor.

Deleting those helped to remind me that I needed to look in the Model for the 'Bones' which are the Lights in the Model.

Also: If you are rendering from the Model window and the model only consists of the lights you might temporarily create a plane or other object in that model to better see the lights. If there is nothing for the light to shine on (and you don't set the light as a lens flare, volumetric etc. you likely won't see their effects.

I also temporarily change the color of the lights so that I can easily distinguish which is which (for three lights I usually pick red, green and blue).

Once happy with placement, intensity etc. I change the colors and go for additional adjustments.

ModelLights.png

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for the replies. I will look into it more later but jut to let you know. The lights are set up in the model window and I have Volumetrics set to on and I've increased the intensity of the lights to 70% also to see them better. I'm rendering from the Choreography. They all appear to show up in real time render, which I switched on originally, but they don't render. Well some do but different ones with each render as I say.

Hi John, I've only tried multipass up to now. I will try again in a minute. I notice the spot shows on the floor but the volumetric beam doesn't render. It's the latest version of A:M btw. I will also try adding the lights in an Action.

I've deleted all lights in the model and re added them in the Choreography where they render fine with the same values. A bit annoying as I have two instances of the lighting Rig in the Choreography and it would have been handy just to add the lights in the model as now I have to do double the amount of lights. It takes a while to set them up and align them. Thanks for the information everyone.