Hash, Inc. Forums

AM Version 14c - Updates

Hi all!

A very long time since I posted here :-)

I am currently re-rendering my Bella Bear project at 1024 x 576 (16:9) HD ratio since it looks so dated in the format it is. I haven't done anymore work on the project but I just wanted to re-render it an familiarise myself with it again (all those hours I put into it). Anyway I have hit a stumbling block on one of the sections when it comes to rendering, I am getting perculiar shadows which I can get rid of using multi-pass but this ups the render times by a factor of four...

I am using AM 14c, I know there is a newer version out there but I am loathe to re-render everything in that version since it might break things. I have rendered over a third of the project out fine until now so I wondered that if there was a newer version of 14c it would fix tis problem. If I remember back seven years I had the same problem then but cannot remember how I fixed it...

Any enlightenment appreciated :-)

• Admin

Hi Gary,

Wow... wish you would have picked a different release to go out on!

v14 is right at the edge of transition from old world to new.

I believe you are looking for the last 2007 release of v14 (which I assume you already have):

If I recall correctly v15 was released in the latter part of the year.

I ran across several forum topics that seem to confirm this.

Here is the FTP location for that: ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/Am2007

This is where Rusty was pointed to way back when he asked about v14c.

If you got in on the very last CDs of 2007 you might be able to run v15.

• Hash Fellow

Hi Gary!

I am getting perculiar shadows which I can get rid of using multi-pass but this ups the render times by a factor of four...

I am using AM 14c...

Without seeing the problem it's hard to know the solution.

However... if multi-pass fixes it, do it in multi-pass! Yeah, it will take longer but you don't have a deadline and it will get done.

How many cores do you have on your computer?

Thanks chaps!

My computer is a six core i7 3.3 ghz jobbie 980x.

I will show a version of the render later but I have noticed a few other anomallies like patches rendering black. It might be that I am running Windaz 7 and this version was designed for XP...

I am intrigued by what Rodney means by from the old the new... Was 15 a marked difference?

• Admin
Was 15 a marked difference?

The short of it... the 'Tin Woodman of Oz' film was driving a round of software enhancements. :)

I have noticed (in v14c) a few other anomallies like patches rendering black.

Oooo... .oooo.... Rodney raises his hand.

Patches rendering black is usually a sign of inverted normals.

That kind of thing was vigorously squashed in the v15 timeframe but even now may occur (although to a much much lesser extent) if the models normals are not facing out.

• Hash Fellow

It's unlikely that the windows version is the problem, but there are compatibility settings in Windows 7 for programs made for previous Windows.

Since you have 6 cores you could run up to 5 or even 6 instances of A:M with each one rendering its own range of frame, to speed up your rendering.

• 2 weeks later...