Hash, Inc. Forums

We are on the new server!

Hello All,

We are on the new server. Everyting I think is working but stills. I'm just to tired to work on that and the data is still moving so I'm not going to beable to get to that till after I sleep for a bit. And uploads other then admin will take some time too.

If you find anything wrong you can post it here or email support@hash.com

My Night.mp4

First thing when I wake up I will get on stills, Then ssl(but we do not really need that for users)

Now I'm going to to sleep I had to get the hash interal ordering system back online.

I'm going to try to find some skins over the next few days but I sitll have a TON of work and little time. And it's daylight here!

One more thing I was a bit tired when I moved that data over and I forgot to remove the old Email Que(the old forums was not updating it when they were sent) so the forums sent out 95 emails before I could clear the 5k records. So if you got smapped on old topics I'm sorry.

• Hash Fellow

A style thing I note...

Quoted material doesn't look much different from new material in a post. It's not boxed like it used to be so it's not clear where the quote ends and the new post begins.

All looks very clean and shiny in here.

Almost afraid to click on things!

I keep looking round behind me to make sure I'm not leaving dirty foot marks.Better give this post a once over with a cloth too before posting it, don't want messy finger marks all over it. There that's better…

• Admin
Will a dark theme be available?

We'll try to get a couple different themes posted for forum members to choose from and one will surely be darker, probably in the vein of standard interfaces seem these days.

Quoted material doesn't look much different from new material in a post. It's not boxed like it used to be so it's not clear where the quote ends and the new post begins.

If quoted text maintained the box that it has in the editor window that might be nice.

Edit: Quotes are working here.

What you are seeing is all default stuff so optimization will commence shortly.

Thanks Jason for getting us moved into this shiny new space. :)

Can the mobile version be used on the desktop?

I do not know I will look in to that.

So as I start more moving and updating i need to make some changes that may make me have to restart apache(the we server) so if you are going to make super long post tonight may not be the night.

Ok so my night did not go as planned and I'm to tired for my brain to keep going. Since the about hour of sleep I got last night my brain was still working. We not have ssl cert and the activation server is back online. Well it was never really offline just that it had to be moved back to the old host till Haven helped me work out a problem.

The list is getting shorter,

• Get Stills back
  • Work out the problem with A:M Films uploads
  • work out redirects in apache 2.4(it's a big change form 2.2)
  • get forums plug in working on wiki and stills
  • Get IonCube working in Ubuntu 14.04
  • get mail set up for mailers smtp
  • look for some skins!

Well I'm off to try to fall asleep and not think for a few hours!

One more thing I emailed about getting the quotes back to see what they say!

Hi Jason, thanks for all the good work!

I wanted to let you know, I'm getting an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error when I try to search the forums, either from the quick search or the advanced search. I don't get an error when I search members or help.

Also, every time I try to push a "Like This" button on a post, it tells me "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day", even though I've never done one successfully.

Neither of these is critical, but I thought you'd want to know about them so you can put them on your list.

-Vance

Hi Jason, thanks for all the good work!

I wanted to let you know, I'm getting an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error when I try to search the forums, either from the quick search or the advanced search. I don't get an error when I search members or help.

Also, every time I try to push a "Like This" button on a post, it tells me "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day", even though I've never done one successfully.

Neither of these is critical, but I thought you'd want to know about them so you can put them on your list.

-Vance

Can you post the url are you are getting the error on? When I set search as 'you' I do not get an error. 'Likes' seam to be disabled for some reason I will look in to that tomorrow. I think it's that our old forums did not have 'likes' so all the setting are not default but 0

• Admin
every time I try to push a "Like This" button on a post, it tells me "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day", even though I've never done one successfully.

Try again. I didn't see anything related to 'like'ing but made one change that might allow you to get that done.

If that works for you I'll know what needs to be done for the rest of the forum.

I'm not sure about the search problem but make sure that you change the setting from 'this forum' to 'all forums' or whatever equivalent is there. We'll have to see if we where we can change that default.

It still does not work, I will also look tomorrow. I'm not sure where like is but some other things we did not have before got defaulted to 0 not default on the move.

I know this was/is a big change but I really really like this forums so much better and can not wait till we get some skins and art work done.

• ____ 1

• Admin

Can the mobile version be used on the desktop?

Sure can. Look for the mobile theme in the drop down menu lower left corner of the forum. :)

To switch back there is a 'Full Version' button at the bottom of the mobile theme.

(This post was made using the mobile theme on standard PC screen)

It still does not work

Well, I didn't change any settings for you or your group.

If you look in your post above you'll see that Mr. Glob Studios does indeed like your post. ;)

• ____ 1

• Admin

I want to note this as well...

There are some features of the new board that you can't access unless you use the full editor when posting.

An example of this (I believe) is tags which you cannot add to a post unless you are in the full editor.

With tagging that should dramatically improve looking up similar topics and resources.

• Hash Fellow

There are some features of the new board that you can't access unless you use the full editor when posting.

What is the "full editor"? and when am I not in it?

• Admin
What is the "full editor"? and when am I not in it?

What Chris said but also... at the bottom of any post you create or open there should be a button that says 'Use Full Editor'. If you select that you'll be given morer fullerer editing powers. I believe we could make that the default... I think it was the default in the old forum... as often as I use links and such I use the full editor a lot. Quick response is just for um... er... quick responses.

• Admin

Here's another TODO to do:

Clicking on a link to a post in the main index/main page should take the viewer to the last(latest) post in the topic instead of the first. This isn't an issue if there are only a few posts but not so great when there are hundreds.

• Hash Fellow

It's a bit unclear. The name at the far right isn't explicitly identified as the last poster.

In the old forum the link took you to the first post that was new since last you looked at the thread. I dont' know if this one does that. We haven't had enough new posts.

• Admin

Try this:

Click on 'View New Content' (Upper right corner of forum)

Click on the topic "We are on the new server!" (or for that matter any other topic)

Note that this will take you to the first post of said topic which is not optimal.

What the viewer then has to do is go down to the bottom and search for that little arrow that can take them to the end of the topic (where the fresh stuffs are). Added: Or look for the link Robert suggests.

Maybe the old forum did that too and I've just forgot how painful it was.

Edit: I went back to the old forum and you are correct Jason.

Perhaps I was always selecting the 'Last post by ' as Robert suggested.

• Admin

I think it's just with the new forum layout it's easy to click on something you don't want to. For instance, in trying to click through to this (Nancy's) last post in this topic I almost inadvertently clicked on her name which would take me to her profile.... I've done that so many times since the new forum activated I know not to! Just below her name though is the right timestamp/link that allows that 'go to last post in the topic' option.

A bit hard to spot... therefore not optimal... but at least it's there.

If a better solution doesn't present itself that one can be CANX off the TODO list.

I just have to learn where to click to get what I want. :)

after clicking on view new content, expand the "arrow" for the thread(s) that pop up, then click on "go to first unread post" (not exactly sure what it says...but something like that)

That's what I was doing in the interim but it's one too many clicks. ;)

Keep in mind that there is also a Scrooooooooll down to get to that arrow/option... so all the more painful.

What can I say, I prefer the one click option (ref: Robert's link to last post of the topic).

Edit: Just in case its not clear clicking the timestamp below the name of the last poster is the one click option that will take us to the last post of the topic. Just don't accidentally click on the poster's name or you'' be sent to their profile.

• Hash Fellow

Ooo... I miss the old f

I guess I'm lost to this, I have never clicked on a link and got the new post unless the link had

&view=getnewpost

in it? you can check out the old forums at http://scarecrow.hash.com/forums but I'm lost to what anyone is taking about?

oooh... I miss the old forum already.

In the old forum there is a column identified as "last post info"

In the old forum, The "last post by" links in the "last post info" column would take you to the first new post since you last looked at the thread.

In the present forum if you click on the time stamp in the right-most column that will take you to the last post in the thread but the column isn't labeled about that in any way.

• Admin

Robert,

I wouldn't sweat that. It's a fairly trivial matter to add some additional text but it's more important that we move toward selecting primary skins before adding little details like that. Make the issue known... get it on the radar... it'll get smoothed out.

What could be done in the current case is change the timestamp to read, "Last post: Date/Time" and of course right above it would be the name of the one that posted it. That would make it easier to spot and click on.

Don't discount having better access to profiles *which were seldom used in the old forum) because the new forum has better profile technology than the old forum. As such it'll be a good thing if folks keep their profiles current.

I did not even know that was a thing, but it still works in this set up and there is no way to change it I do not think. But When you click '
View New Content' > then when the posts list you click on the time of the last post it will take you to the the newest one.

show new.png

• Admin

Yes, that is what we will do. :)

I did a quick test to see if the old banner would work in the new forum.

A quick copy/paste produced:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showforum=59

Note that this banner test is only displaying for the Archive folder* and... I'm not sure... if you're personal selection of themes will override viewing it.

A good time to check to see if that is what happens I suppose...

At any rate... I'm hoping we can plus up the graphics even more as the old filmstrip was more of a hack because I'm not a programmer (as Jason well knows!).

*Added it to the themes as 'Legacy Banner' for those who get all nostalgic and want to 'visit' the old forum.

• Admin
I think you should make the banners a part of all the skins so it's always there.

The tech behind the 'current' banner is pretty old and the images are hacked into the banner and it's kinda important that if I were to keel over tomorrow the next guy/gal be able to update it. That is the number one reason not to use the banner from the old forum. I pity whoever has to manually cut and paste code to keep it updated.

A programmatic approach would be ideal (example: grab images from a list that is automatically generated from A:M Stills etc. or from the first image of a particular forum (but note that we don't have that capability... it'd have to be programmed). In a perfect world I'd hack er... grab a list... of all of the images posted to the forum and then prioritize those. The real issue though isn't just the images... it's the link that goes with the image... that takes you to the subject matter that the image hints at at the top of the forum. What's going on in the A:M Forum? I dunno... what's at the top of the forum?

The reason the banner works now is because I'm too stubborn to not let it work. I remembered the images that showed up there way back when when it didn't work so well and thought I'd give it a whirl. But it can be so much more.

What I envision would be more like the previews you see when you go to the movie theater (without that green screen that tells you what audience it is approved for).

HTML5 or even pure CSS animated content (with menus) would be optimal.

Something like this (but disclaimer!: this only begins to approach the goal):

http://thecodeplayer.com/walkthrough/css3-image-slider-with-stylized-thumbnails

I'm less interested in the scrolling aspects of the banner and more interested in publishing cool (but easily loadable) animated content.

(If you want to watch the guy code the image slider click the "Play Walkthrough" button)

All of this is a bit off topic but... I wouldn't mind exploring animated content via Adobe Edge Animate because it allows touch/swipe gesturing on modern displays but it does also rely on javascript (as does the old banner). As long as mobile platforms work well with the setup pure HTML5 and/or CSS would likely be the ideal way to go.

• Admin
It was a great piece of instant demo that everyone who came to the forum woudl see.

I'm hoping to get an A:M splash screen up for first time visitors (others could visit/revisit the splash page as they so choose)... targeted content to viewer interests being a high level goal. In other words if you say somewhere in your profile that you are interested in rigging... you'd see more information about rigging. This is the kind of thing we can do now with the new forum/server that we couldn't before.

One of the problems of the past was that some folks didn't feel challenged enough while others felt overwhelmed.

By getting to know each other better (i.e. what our current focus is with A:M) we can remedy that.

The splash screen does sound like a good idea and the banner they showed in that does not look to hard. I'm still working on some back end stuff but I can look into that in a bit and see what I can get going.

After the vote i may start a post to hold images and links to add to the banner.