Hash, Inc. Forums

I'm back! (More or less)

Darkwing

Hey ho! Been a while since I was on here! How's everyone doing? What's everyone been up to these days? I see Hash is 25 years old, congrats! They sure grow up fast :P

If anyone's been interested, I've been off doing freelance (emphasis on the free) work for some people over the past year or so. Learned some new software (by learned I mean inefficiently used) and finally got a new computer! And now I've come full circle back to needing AM for a client so here I am! :P

So yeah, hope all has been well here! Oh! I also did a demo reel after all these years. Figured it was high time I put some of my work together :P Here it is if anyone's interested:

I also just renewed my sub. Version 18 eh? Impressive!

Yea sorta just got carried away in different directions. Also work itself has been keeping me pretty busy. Ever since the company was bought out, it's been changes left right an center! And between work and computer stuff, I'm still plagued by life/future problem haha.

On an entirely unrelated note, has anyone had activation problems lately? I just bought a sub for my new computer and my code is spitting back a bad return from webserver error. I've emailed support but just wondered if anyone else encountered this recently?

But yeah, it's nice to be back again! It's a lonely little world out there outside of the AMsphere when it comes to doing VFX stuff :P

• Admin

Woah... Chris!

I'm a bit scared now because I was just thinking about you and wondering what you've been up to.

After getting my mind filled full of effects, lighting, compositing... the pending Sci Fi contest... all roads seem to lead to you (or at least remind me of you) these days.

I've run across a few videos I think you'll get a kick out of... assuming you haven't seen them already.

At any rate it's great to see you again. :)

Hope the activation issue is resolved quickly.

Haha compositing and lighting was just what I was up to (and prompted me to come back actually). Been trying to build and rig an alien for a live action film that's supposed to be done like this week and was getting frustrated with *ahem* other software. Just kept thinking "this would be so much easier in AM!" So voila, here I am haha.

I will admit, I've always loved the concept of adding CG stuff to real things. I primarily do a lot of FX work for a Trek fan series based out of Albany, Georgia and their most recent episode requires a shapeshifting alien only ever seen in Star Trek the animated series. So I get to bring something out of the 2D world and realize it in 3D which is pretty cool!

• Hash Fellow
Just kept thinking "this would be so much easier in AM!"

That's what I kept thinking when I was looking at Maya and plowing through their new-user tuts.

You keep thinking there's some incredible pay off for it being three times as complicated but there isn't. :D

Well yeah. I think (without getting into a comparison topic here) that these "bigger" software get a little too complicated and miss out on the simpler (read more important) things. Like this alien, once I rigged him, I couldn't just move the whole model to a new location in the scene without messing up the rig and the mesh. It made no sense to me.

I will say though, Max's IK is a nightmare. Like it's just unbelievable.

• Hash Fellow
Like this alien, once I rigged him, I couldn't just move the whole model to a new location in the scene without messing up the rig and the mesh. It made no sense to me.

Of course there must be a solution to that but just the fact that this thing that is never a problem in A:M is a problem you immediately run into in the other software... that's got to be a bad indicator about it. :rolleyes:

I think Character Studio is built into Max now, been a long long time since I fiddled with that. If I remember right if you don't have the rig just right it will knot up your character when you go to use it. Backup and incremental saves will help.

Welcome back, Chris. Are you talking about a Vendorian?

Oui oui monsieur! But shhhh, tis a big secret at the moment :P

I think Character Studio is built into Max now, been a long long time since I fiddled with that. If I remember right if you don't have the rig just right it will knot up your character when you go to use it. Backup and incremental saves will help.

Yeah, so it would seem. Anyways, I felt it would be a project better suited for AM anyways. Plus it gave me an immediate excuse to resubscribe now :P Now I can finish my Batman model! :D