Hash, Inc. Forums

Animation Master CD Not being recognized

A little background: A long time ago I bought version 11. I used it for quite awhile until my machine died. I tried using it on my Vista laptop and it didn't work. I got an upgrade patch from here to version 12 which did work. I used that for a long time. Then my laptop's disc drive started developing problems. At first I thought it was the disc as it was all scratched up. After much time, frustration aggravation and troubleshooting, I have since discovered that the drive itself was going bad and is now plain done in. I bought an external to run the cd. Here's my problem: I know the drive is good, I know it will read the disc. I was able to uninstall the program and then reinstall it from that drive figuring that it would change the location of where the program would look for the CD but it didn't.

It keeps saying "Cannot Locate Animation Master CD. Insert the correct cd and try again"

I've disabled my other drive, it shouldn't even look there I guess it is. still.

More aggravation it seems.

I have asked support over and over again if there is a version that doesn't require a disc and will work on this machine (offering to pay for it) and have come up short. I already know that 16 and 17 won't work on this machine. If they don't I know 18 won't.

My question is how do I get this program to look for my CD in my new drive and not the old one. This is really starting to get on my last nerve. I don't have the money to buy a new machine to run the latest version of the program or I would. Any help would be appreciated. Have to go to work now.

• Hash Fellow

Welcome back to A:M!

Too bad it's a laptop, where replacing a disk drive is such a hassle. What model is it? maybe there's a cheap drive replacement on ebay.

However, I have been able to start a disc-based A:M on a tablet computer from an external drive so it is at least ... possible.

When you say v16 etc... won't work on your computer, why is that?

Possibly your problem is as simple as changing the drive letters associated with the CD drive? Something like this...

How To Change Drive Letters in Windows Vista - PC Support

Or... disconnecting the original CD drive to force the computer to look elsewhere?

The drive letter should not matter with the CD but the system we used for disks back in v15.0 is not always stable in systems today as it looks for many things like imaging software and virtual drives.

What keep new versions form running on your machines? what error do you get?

Welcome back to A:M!

Too bad it's a laptop, where replacing a disk drive is such a hassle. What model is it? maybe there's a cheap drive replacement on ebay.

However, I have been able to start a disc-based A:M on a tablet computer from an external drive so it is at least ... possible.

When you say v16 etc... won't work on your computer, why is that?

Possibly your problem is as simple as changing the drive letters associated with the CD drive? Something like this...

How To Change Drive Letters in Windows Vista - PC Support

Or... disconnecting the original CD drive to force the computer to look elsewhere?

The answer to your question is rather confusing to me. On paper (processor speed, ram, disc space, even video memory) V16 and v17 should run on this machine. I've tried both of them. They both give me the same response. The program loads the model interface comes up. I open a new file, save a new file, or do ANYTHING to change what is actually on the screen, the program closes or freezes. I always just chalked it up to integrated graphics (laptops and all)

MY computer is an HP Pavilion dv4-1465dx Entertainment Notebook. 2.1 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4.00 gb ram, I forgot the Video memory but I know it's the minimum system requirement for at least v16.

The drive letter should not matter with the CD but the system we used for disks back in v15.0 is not always stable in systems today as it looks for many things like imaging software and virtual drives.

What keep new versions form running on your machines? what error do you get?

On paper they should work fine, perhaps a little clunky, but still run. I'm not quite sure. This being laptop and all, I figured it was the integrated graphics. I have been told that cause some serious problems with programs that suck up a lot of video memory. Maybe an external graphics module would (do they make those?). Basically the short of it is that I don't really know.

I load the program, it starts up, the interface comes up and I can even draw. I just can't do anything else. I can't open the project workspace, I can't close the libraries pane, I can't change the layout at all without the program closing. It's been so long since I tried either one of them I can't even remember the error messages, if I got them at all. My licenses for both have expired anyway.

I was told to upgrade to this and upgrade to that, and still didn't work. I got discouraged and stopped trying. I was able to get this to work for a little bit longer so I didn't bother to keep those licenses current.

Believe me, if there was a way I could go in and tell the program that it doesn't need a disc anymore, I would do it. As I understand it, I'd have to have some knowledge of programming. I don't. I'd probably mess it up.

• Admin

This:

It keeps saying "Cannot Locate Animation Master CD. Insert the correct cd and try again"

Does not equate with this:

The program loads the model interface comes up.

In the first case the program isn't loading but in the second it loads?

You've got me scratching my head here.

This:

I open a new file, save a new file, or do ANYTHING to change what is actually on the screen, the program closes or freezes.

Is not what you queried in the first post:

My question is how do I get this program to look for my CD in my new drive and not the old one.

The program either is or isn't running.

It either is or isn't finding your CD.

Perhaps you can clarify.

• Admin

While waiting for a response I'll offer the following regarding a scratched CD.

As long as the scratches are on the plastic side of the CD and not the printed side (that is to say the side with the A:M Logo) then it can be polished/and the scratches removed.

I'm no expert at this but lightly polishing the plastic is an option if you really believe that may be related to the problem.

Regarding v16 and later... I sure do wish you'd spent more time here in the forum troubleshooting while your subscription was still active. Then at least we'd be able to go back and have you install v13 or any other version also compatible with subscription activation. Installing v13 and activating that would have been an option but I'm not about to suggest you resubscribe in order to test that out, especially given that you are on such an old system. If you are *entirely sure* you've upgraded all of your Windows drivers and patches, and then if you are really up to the challenge you could request a trial subscription. That runs for only a few days but would give you enough time to test other versions back to v13 out for optimum operation.

The source of the problem is the computer, cd drive and/or operating system so it's important to first look to that.

Folks give away newer computers than that for free these days when they upgrade so that might be worth checking out.

• Hash Fellow

Perhaps he is saying that the CD versions stop with the insert-correct-CD message but he has also bought and installed the license version which runs but very spottily.

Integrated graphics are slow and pokey. Game people hate them but most A:M user with laptops get by with them.

So we have two different problems. With v15 or earlier it's the CD, with v16 or later it's some sort of graphics problem. Being sure the graphics driver is up to date would be my first gambit.

Hostler... to try...If v16 at least starts running, run it and got to Tool>Options>Global and switch the "Real-time Driver" setting to whatever choice it is not set to currently and restart. See if this changes anything.

EDIT: I just saw that your license has expired. Ouch. I do certainly wish you had brought this up before that year ran out.

If it your able to install from the cd then the cd drive and cd should be good. Is this an external USB cd? That might be the issue. I would suggest scavenging around for an internal cd drive and all should be fine.

Price wise and all the really nice features of the latest one, I think it is worth going to subscription. They really keep up on the any bugs and tweaks and it renders so much quicker.

Many people spend more in gas in a week with their suv's or pickups than a years worth of AM!

Rodney is correct that it is possible to take out scratches on a cd. Good old tooth paste and a damp soft cloth will do the trick and take out most of the fine scratches but there is no way of removing deep gouges. I don't think scratches is the issue if you can install from it.

A little background: A long time ago I bought version 11. I used it for quite awhile until my machine died. I tried using it on my Vista laptop and it didn't work. I got an upgrade patch from here to version 12 which did work. I used that for a long time. Then my laptop's disc drive started developing problems. At first I thought it was the disc as it was all scratched up. After much time, frustration aggravation and troubleshooting, I have since discovered that the drive itself was going bad and is now plain done in. I bought an external to run the cd. Here's my problem: I know the drive is good, I know it will read the disc. I was able to uninstall the program and then reinstall it from that drive figuring that it would change the location of where the program would look for the CD but it didn't.

I've disabled my other drive, it shouldn't even look there I guess it is. still.

More aggravation it seems.

I have asked support over and over again if there is a version that doesn't require a disc and will work on this machine (offering to pay for it) and have come up short. I already know that 16 and 17 won't work on this machine. If they don't I know 18 won't.

My question is how do I get this program to look for my CD in my new drive and not the old one. This is really starting to get on my last nerve. I don't have the money to buy a new machine to run the latest version of the program or I would. Any help would be appreciated. Have to go to work now.

I had the same problem with the old disks, a solution is to burn an ISO picture of the disc with BurnAware free and store it on Your Hard drive, than use WinCDEmu to mount that

image so Hash will recognize it. These are all freeware programs.Since CD drives are becoming obsolete and we are forced into a subscription, that is the only way to use the older

programs.

Actually the company that made the cd dongle is gone, kapoots and ceases to be.

I did a test on some plastics using a ceramic stove top cleaner (cerama bryte) with a damp cloth and it polishes plastics really nicely. I didn't test on any cd's since I don't have any that are scratched but it did work well on my phone display and a scrap of plexi.

Test it out and let me know. Worked much better than toothpaste but lacks the minty after smell.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I have been able to devote any time to anything. I have a REALLY crazy work schedule. Just to give an update, I have managed to get my old CD working. That's a plus. I have to open the drive, close it, and while autorun is trying to recognize it, double click my program icon. It's a pain, but it works. I am okay with that. Don't ask me how I did it, I just did it and it works.

Eventually, I will be buying a new machine that is built to my specs and for what I plan to do with it. Funds are still tight right now. I want to thank everyone who responded. I did read them and they were enlightening. Hopefully, I won't be having this issue in the future. Thank you again. BTW, can anyone point me to a place where I can create realistic beacon lights (i.e., like the ones you see on planes, boats, bridges, and towers)?

• Hash Fellow

It's been awhile since I have been able to devote any time to anything. I have a REALLY crazy work schedule. Just to give an update, I have managed to get my old CD working. That's a plus. I have to open the drive, close it, and while autorun is trying to recognize it, double click my program icon. It's a pain, but it works. I am okay with that. Don't ask me how I did it, I just did it and it works

That's a new one! Glad you got that working.

Enjoy retro-A:M and if you have questions let us know!